Hdpe panel. Can seams be fiberglassed

marinerules

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
paragould arkansas
If a person was to line a plywood tank with hdpe panel could you use fiberglass cloth an resin to seal all the joints and seams

I thought it may work if one sanded around all the edges of the panel first

I know it has a smooth surface so I figured it wouldn't work without sandin

I may drive to menards to pick a sheet up. The nearest menards is about a hour away from me. I have never seen this stuff in person. Our lowes doesn't have it. All they hVe is the frp plastic

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BearFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2014
Ohio
Well the simple answer is no it will not be water tight. I had some Loctite two part marine epoxy laying around, so I epoxy two pieces together and I will show you what happens. Just to make it interesting I heated to HDPE up before applying the epoxy. Should stick better this way.

I would steer you away from this direction unless you are set on it. From my experience, a 2X4 enclosure with the HDPE as the walls with 100% silicone for plastic works good, but you have to be smart about using the silicone. It's purpose is more of a gasket material than structural.

Good luck!

BearFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2014
Ohio
Marinrules, you may have something. The epoxy bond is holding up a craftsman drill that weighs ~6 lbs. Should be strong enough to hold a tank together. Just remember I used Loctite two part marine epoxy, not marine epoxy. There may be a different formula. I put epoxy on the butt joint and the sides. I'll put it in some water and test it again next week.

marinerules

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
paragould arkansas
I was thinking of like lining a stacked 2x4 build an just goin over all the seams with several layers of cloth and resin. May work on smaller builds. But larger builds where all that water pressure is involved is probably another story lol

wcgunns

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
DFW, Texas
True. I was planning a similar build with 2x4s as the framing and lining it with the HDPE sheets. I was going to have my friend that has a plastic welder weld the seams.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store