How to separate water and land?

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
So I'm thinking about making my 220 acrylic tank into more of a rainforest setup having about 2/3 land 1/3 water maybe a couple islands or something any way I don't know how to separate the water and land. Do I just use plexy glass cut it to how ever tall and silicone it in place? I pretty much want one big land mass with a river running thru it and a large pond area if you have this please post pics

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Silicone will not adhere to acrylic. You need to use a Weld-on solvent bonding agent. There are a ton of youtube 'how to' vids on how to bond acrylics. There are also underwater aquarium epoxy putties that can do the job well if you want to complete an installation in an established tank. However, the job won't appear as clean as using a Weld-on bonding agent.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
sounds cool, whats the stock plan?

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
But if I use weld on then in the future if for what ever reason I want to make it a tank again I'm stuck with the dividers....

I want to set it up as a breeding tank for red eyed crocodile skinks

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I know the tank if I end up soon just a thought right now is a bit big but why not make them happy with lots of room to swim and run around. All the care sheets I've read so far the size tank is anywhere from 20-55 gallons but those are minimums so bigger could be better or it could not still have to do some more research

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
For a temporary setup, just use a piece of glass or acrylic going from the back right corner to the front left corner. Use silicone sealer along the edges and bottom seams to form a gasket (gaskets go on the pressurized waterside). Islands are out unless you use terracotta pots with the bottoms sealed together. Drill holes or cut notches in the bottom pot to allow water to flow through and place media, plants, etc. in the top pot.
As I stated, silicone will not bond to acrylic. If the gasket fails and water gets into the media there's a risk of stagnant water developing. The out-gassing from the stagnant media will displace O2 and kill your herps.

KAWAMIKIE

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
Use pvc pipe to make supports to hold up a tray that you build your land on. You could use a sterlite box or similar storage box. Any plastic parts can be painted with Krylon Fusion spray paint.
The only concern would be how to clean the land area. Maybe make it so you can lift the tray out to clean it.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Next question how hard is it to bed plexy glass? So I can make the islands and land parts more circular less boxy do I just hear it up the plexy glass doesn't have to be thick maybe 4-5 inches tall and it will have sand and substrates behind it so not to have to worrie about water pushing it over or bending it

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
wow those things look awesome mate, really dinosaur like!-)... want

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
My new idea is to make like puzzle pcs out of plexy glass, I'm sure the weight of the substrate will hold them down, this way I can take them out to clean them just cutting and shaping will be a pain in the tail fin

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store