When to ues Powereheads

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
First of all thanks for all the help I get from this forum. Recently quite a few folks helped me to decide where to put my new 90 gallon freshwater setup in my basement. Setup up is done and is been running for a week now for cycling. I am planning to keep bichirs/leopard ctenopomas/peacock bass and some kind of Gar species(something which is suitable for 90 gallon and a small species). My question is Do I need to add a power head in this aquarium, keeping in mind of the species I am planning ? I have a Hydor Evo and if needed I can place it in. In case of yes Please also advise where to place this in the aquarium (because I am running a canister filter Marineland C-530 and flow from outlet nozzle is significant)?

Sorry if I am asking something which doesn't make sense. I am totally new to this hobby (less than a year) and currently have a 30 gallon but moving to this new bigger one so I have little more freedom in terms of space and species I can keep

Thanks

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
To my knowledge no species of peacock bass can thrive in a 90 gallon. The only species of bichir I see working in that tank is a Senegal. And as far as gars go your probably limited to a hujeta gar. As far as the power head goes, I have em in all my tanks. At least one pointing towards the surface for some sort of movement etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I do have some concern that the bass or the gar may eat the Senegal/bush fish. But help with giving some agitation for your tank. The fish you mentioned don't need a current. Are you needing one for current or to create some turbulent water for oxygenation?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to add some current in the water. That was the initial idea.

Sent from my A0001 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
No problem. I would advise just a low flow if your going for the powerhead. Try to place it so you get some water to churn. That way you get both.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
they are great for disturbing the surface and to keep the oxygen to water exchange good, it will stop your fish panting... i got rid of my crappy airstones and pumps and now runa 1200lph at the surface on my 300g, my fish never gasp anymore.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Just a bit. But should be ok if u can Just put it at the lowest current if can be done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store