Triple Canister Sump?

The_Don

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2013
New york
So I have 3 canister filters that I've been using. I'd like to connect all of them and use them together as a sort of sump system. It would start with a small glass tank where the water would come in from the aquarium. A pump would be located in this tank and would pump the water through all 3 filters, then into the aquarium. The first canister would be coarse, the next fine, the next biological.

Am I missing something or does this sound ok?

The_Don

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2013
New york
Oh yes, I remember, the issue with this was the canisters' inability to withstand any extra pressure. Correct?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Don't understand the purpose or advantage of this set up. What exactly are you using the sump portion for then?

The_Don

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2013
New york
Don't understand the purpose or advantage of this set up. What exactly are you using the sump portion for then?
I feel the filtration would be more effective being separated into 3 different stages. Also, I though it would make maintenance easier. The tank portion would really only be needed to hold the pump + heaters.

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
You might be better off using an actual sump or small tank for main tank eater to go into, then use the 3 canisters individually to pump back into the tank.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
It really depends on the canisters. As a rule, at least wrt Eheim, they are designed to withstand suction, not pressure. Pressure will inevitably lead to leaks.
Not a good idea at all...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
I agree with the above. If you look at how the seals work on canister filters, if you put positive pressure into them, they'll probably start leaking.

I have 3 canister filters hooked up via PVC on a common intake/output system which works pretty well. You could also put the filters external to the sump and each section of the sump have a different canister filter, like this (excuse the crude drawing):

sumpdesign_zps237a66c6.png

All in all though... I would say using canisters with a sump is overall a waste. Maybe use 1 canister as a polishing filter, but if I were to go sump (and I wish I did!) I would use primarily filter socks. So much easier to maintain than always opening up the canisters IMO. Also, if you don't use a filter sock, you're already kind of wasting the advantage of a sump where you have some water pressure created by the water falling into the sump. Instead you're using canisters with their own pumps, and then using another return pump. You're using twice as much pump electricity as is required for your overall flow rate, if you understand what I'm saying.

sumpdesign_zps237a66c6.png

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I built a manifold of sorts to run 2 canisters off of a single 1" siphon but I abandoned it due to being overly complex and totally unnecessary.

I agree if your going to go through the work of setting up a sump, just use a sump. I set mine up with a gravity fed 6 compartment trickle tower. There is a coarse bonded blue polypad, followed by a pile of filter floss. Super easy to clean. I've never had such clear water. Filter socks work basically the same way.

You can always just use canisters and buy in line heaters to mount in the return hose if you want to keep your tank free of any extra junk in the display.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store