Black Substrate

wiggywhitetrash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2012
Hinckley, UK
Hey

I'm expecting delivery of my new 180g tank in a couple of weeks and I was planning to use black gravel as the substrate. Been looking around on the web and I'm seeing a lot of negative reviews about this stuff, in particular, that the gravel is painted and that the paint will come off over time. With this in mind, I started thinking about blank sand, as I assume that the colour would be natural, not dye or whatever. Problem is, last time I used sand in a tank (a small grow out tank with an internal filter), I absolutely hated it. Found it impossible to keep clean and it always looked so dirty because you could see every last piece of crap resting on top, although I guess this wouldn't be such a problem if the sand was black. My other concern is that it could get into the filter and cause damage - I'll be running an FX5 and an FX6. There will also be 2 strong powerheads to hopefully prevent any crap from settling on the substrate. Inhabitants will be a jaguar cichlid and a lima shovelnose cat.
Would love to hear some recommendations based on past experiences. Thanks.

Steve

Skurj

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2013
GTA Ontario Canada
I am using pool filter sand in a 180g with an FX6, eheim 2262 and an AC 110. If you have diggers that like to spit sand at your ilter intake (ahem.. my rtm) perhaps you risk some damage to filters but I haven't had any issues even with my rtm not cooperating. She recently dug a nice pit below the intake of my fx6 and no issues. I have pretty light coloured sand, I don't wish I had black, but perhaps 50/50 black and PFS... Mine is more than 1" deep in most places. It does suspend the poop but that is a good thing. Better that it sits on top where you can vac it than slips between where you can ignore it while your nitrate levels skyrocket. I am overfiltered at the moment as most of my fish are small, I think I have sucked off the poop maybe twice in the last 9 months..

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
In my tank the rays are constantly digging so there is not much maintenance... the reason to keep it thin is so you do not get dead anaerobic spots. Without the digging fish you would need to vacuum it regularly but you would need to do that with gravel to. One thing I would say is spend the money on aquarium sand.. I did pfs in my 210 and i have burned through impellers in my fx5 from sand getting in there and eating them away. Good luck

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Sand an a filter with the pump on the bottom are a bad idea. (FX filters) I use Black Diamond blasting media. It is actually coal slag and won't mess with your water. I have 4" in my planted tank and just a 1/2" in a grow out. Poop just stays on top so you don't get excess nitrates

wiggywhitetrash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2012
Hinckley, UK
Thanks for the input guys. I really had my heart set on a black substrate, but looks like it's not gonna happen. Done some research and the consensus with the tahitan moon sand is that although it looks amazing, it's too fine and will go straight into the filter. Was looking at this stuff...
http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/caribsea-seaflor-special-grade-sand-40lb-p-1737.html
Grain size is 1 - 2mm so it shouldn't get blown around. Just cautious about potentially changing the tanks PH, could this be an issue?

JC09

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2011
rhode island
Sand an a filter with the pump on the bottom are a bad idea. (FX filters) I use Black Diamond blasting media. It is actually coal slag and won't mess with your water. I have 4" in my planted tank and just a 1/2" in a grow out. Poop just stays on top so you don't get excess nitrates
+1 with sand blasting sand. i have it and i love it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store