New guy

Oregon Cichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2015
United States
Hello,
I am new here, I have had my cichlids for 2 or 3 years, sadly in an under sized tank. I am now correcting this, and thought I would create an account. By the way the reason they are in too small of a tank was becuase of a big box store, selling me fish I should never have had and I was unwilling to simply orhpan them as I feel responsible for their well being, so needless to say I am very happy to get them in a larger tank!

Currently I have
1x Oscar
1x Texas? Thats what I bought him as but he looks nothing like any other I have seen
2x Jack Dempseys
1x Red Dragon Flowerhorn (or whatever other name the breeder used)
1x Pleco

I am planning to add some Clown Loaches, Electric Blue Jack Dempseys, and Geophagus in the future.

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
Welcome to MFK! You should have decent tank size or someone will become winner take all in there :) (2 jack dempseys? you got a pair male and female? or 2 males? it's bad if you got a pair and when they in breeding mode, or 2 males they gonna beat each other up)

Edit: If you want a display tank get rip those regular Jack and get EBJD :D

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Welcome!
I'm curious what size your current tank is, and what the new tank will be. Nice fish!

Before you start getting more fish, let us know what size the new tank will be.

Oregon Cichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2015
United States
Current tank is a 60 gallon (I KNOW) New tank is a 150 gallon tall. The 60 gallon tank was filtered to the moon with a homeade sump and a marineland 350 HOB filter, both with bio and mechanical filtration, I think thats the only reason my only deaths where fish being eaten by the Oscar (poor loaches :-() I would have liked to go bigger but $$$ and space did not allow. The EBJD's may be getting a home in a bedroom bowfront tank if I feel the 150 is still crowded. The JD's appear to be one male on female, the female rarely comes out of hiding and the male is the only fish that goes into her hidey hole.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
TBH, even a 150 won't really cut it imho with all those fish... also, is there a reason why you are going with a tall tank rather than a regular one with a larger footprint?

Although to be completely honest, if possible, i would maybe even look into getting a 180G if possible if you want to keep quite a few aggressive fish together...

Oregon Cichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2015
United States
TBH, even a 150 won't really cut it imho with all those fish... also, is there a reason why you are going with a tall tank rather than a regular one with a larger footprint?

Although to be completely honest, if possible, i would maybe even look into getting a 180G if possible if you want to keep quite a few aggressive fish together...
Space, it has to go somewhere, I had initially planned on a 240 but it just wouldn't fit.

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
I'm going to go against the grain and say if you only add your current fish with some good filtration the 150 might work, though if your srd is like mine forget it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store