Bubble makers?

kageh124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2012
MD, DC Area
I stopped using them awhile ago and my fish seemed fine. My setups usually had AC110's on my 75 and 225. The last time I had a 225 I can't remember if I had a bubble maker on that. I had to take that setup down about a year and a half ago.

Anyway, I just setup a new 225 and I noticed the fish are acting sluggish. Would not having a bubble maker be a potential reason? The lack of air? I have 3 AC110'S on it for now... going to upgrade the filtration as the fish get larger.

Sent from my SM-N900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Does it look like the fish are "breathing" more than usual? (mouth and gills opening and closing). How quickly they open their mouth to pass water over their gills is generally a good indicator of how much oxygen in the water. Different fish obviously have different needs, and it also depends on temperature. Lower temperatures will allow more oxygen in the water, and higher temperature will generally have less oxygen.

The most important aspect to keep the water properly agitated is surface agitation. The airstones don't really directly infuse the water with oxygen, they mostly allow for surface agitation to allow gaseous exchange at the surface. Moving your filter output(s) closer to the surface to agitate it will help more than anything.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I think tbe fish "pant" when there's low oxygen, or gulp air at tbe surface. Unless the tank is heavily stocked, you probably have enough oxygen in the water if you have some surface agitation from tbe spray arms from your pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kageh124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2012
MD, DC Area
These were helpful comments. Thanks.

Granted, they've only been in the tank for a day and half so they might still be stressed? I don't see any indicators of them panting or having a lack of air.

Sent from my SM-N900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
The ac110's should provide more than enough surface agitation for effective gas exchange. I'm sure there just a bit stressed from the move. I would just add a air stone to be on the safe side but I'm sure your fine

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
The ac110's should provide more than enough surface agitation for effective gas exchange. I'm sure there just a bit stressed from the move. I would just add a air stone to be on the safe side but I'm sure your fine

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I agree. Your water should be effectively saturated with O2 from the aquaclear filters. Air stones are still effective at circulation. I like to put them near heaters or deadzones where waste accumulates

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store