Low flow on eheim 2217

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Over the past few months ive noticed flow dramatically drop ? What could be causing this ?

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Time for a filter cleaning?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Is the 2217 new perhaps? They all flow heavy when they're new, then slow down. They get dirty, you never get quite as clean as they were new maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Just did a cleaning today. Its less than a year old never cleaned the hoses or impellar yet

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
I had the exact same canister filter. let's just say I ran into the same issue and i decided to get rid of it. I do not like eheim. Just my opinion about my experiences though.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I have 2 2217's. I had 2 on a 125 gallon, and they weren't enough. Now I have 1 2217 on a 75, and my 125 has a 2262. I think that's about right. I might put the second 2217 on the 75 one day.

Keep in mind, Eheim's are made to flow slow--longer contact time with bio filtration is their philosophy. But, I think Eheim's are sized more for smaller fish/planted tanks.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Whats the easiest was to clean the hoses ? String tied to a rag ?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I had so many issues with a 2215 that its in temporary retirement.

To clean the hoses I'd take a long push rod of any kind (wood, wire, whatever) and try to ram a small patch of cloth or paper towel down the tubing. All with everything disassembled of course. Make sure your disconnect valves and the inlet/outlet of the canister are clean.
My disconnect valves had a tendency to build up waste and partially clog.

If you remove the impeller to clean it, make sure it's seated correctly, I had issues with mine.

I ended up turning the lights off and using a flashlight. I scanned over all the inlet (siphon) tubing to make sure no little air bubbles were getting drawn in from a bad seal on the tubing/valves. My canister airlocked a few times and quit pumping and I dont think it was from the main oring gasket.

Try running it without the blue foam discs or pads. I always pressure washed mine but I suspected they may have been partially clogged.

I've decided to rebuild the plumbing for my eheim again. I think an issue may be the siphon tubing is too small. Once any waste accumulates in the tuning it starves the motor for water? The elbow on my canister is threaded 1/2" female pipe so im going to replace it with a 5/8" standard hose barb/hose and replace the tank plumbing with painted pvc. Also use oversized schedule 40 ballvalves/unions. Ill see how this works. The eheim disconnect valves are so small the water is choked down to like 3/8"

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I have 2 2217's. I had 2 on a 125 gallon, and they weren't enough. Now I have 1 2217 on a 75, and my 125 has a 2262. I think that's about right. I might put the second 2217 on the 75 one day.

Keep in mind, Eheim's are made to flow slow--longer contact time with bio filtration is their philosophy. But, I think Eheim's are sized more for smaller fish/planted tanks.
Ragin ,
How do you like the flow on the 2262 I plan on swapping out my fx6 on a 150 gal for a 2262. Gonna.move the fx6 to a 75 gal

I had so many issues with a 2215 that its in temporary retirement.

To clean the hoses I'd take a long push rod of any kind (wood, wire, whatever) and try to ram a small patch of cloth or paper towel down the tubing. All with everything disassembled of course. Make sure your disconnect valves and the inlet/outlet of the canister are clean.
My disconnect valves had a tendency to build up waste and partially clog.

If you remove the impeller to clean it, make sure it's seated correctly, I had issues with mine.

I ended up turning the lights off and using a flashlight. I scanned over all the inlet (siphon) tubing to make sure no little air bubbles were getting drawn in from a bad seal on the tubing/valves. My canister airlocked a few times and quit pumping and I dont think it was from the main oring gasket.

Try running it without the blue foam discs or pads. I always pressure washed mine but I suspected they may have been partially clogged.

I've decided to rebuild the plumbing for my eheim again. I think an issue may be the siphon tubing is too small. Once any waste accumulates in the tuning it starves the motor for water? The elbow on my canister is threaded 1/2" female pipe so im going to replace it with a 5/8" standard hose barb/hose and replace the tank plumbing with painted pvc. Also use oversized schedule 40 ballvalves/unions. Ill see how this works. The eheim disconnect valves are so small the water is choked down to like 3/8"

Mud thanks for the info will clean the impeller and hoses during next wc

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store