Are all trashcans safe to store water for water changes?

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Hey, I'm planning on buying some trashcans to let my tap water sit and gas out before it goes into the tank. Is there a certain type of trashcan that is safe or anything I should look out for?? Thanks!

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Assuming you are talking about fresh water, you're looking for something inert (that won't react much in the presence of water.) Based upon the study below, your choices are:

1) stainless steel
2) concrete
3) plastic or plastic coated metal cans or iron cans

Items in #3 will leach different chemicals depending on how long the water is stored, temperature, pH and what is in the particular plastic. Stainless steel (unless you use boiling hot water or salt) might be the best choice from a water safety stand point. (#2 isn't available in trashcans, although people building aquifers or reservoirs obviously find this a great option.)

Many people however use both 1 and 3 so probably except in high salt or extreme pH conditions, there is minimal effect. If the water is salt water, loaded with various dissolved solids, or extreme pH levels, it would likely be more complex to decide.

Ultimately, everything leaches in the presence of water if the time period is long enough.

http://www.milkwood.net/2011/02/14/...-for-drinking-water-defining-clean-and-green/

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Okay thanks for the info. Yeahs its for freshwater. At most the water will sit 24hrs.. I Have been doing some research online and Rubbermaid Brute trashcans keep popping up..Would they be a good option for plastic trashcans? Says they are food safe.

Also while the water sits I plan to throw a heater and air stone in there. that's all good right?

Thanks!

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I use Rubbermaid brute plastic wear at work everyday. I work in a food processing plant. Everything has to be food grade and nsf certified. We have thousands of trashcans and bins. Literally. They are the gokd standard in the food industry.

They are your best Option. I'm sure there are other options, but I can say with the utmost certainty that brutes are safe. Plus they are nearly impossible to destroy.

I'd maybe rinse it good and let it sit over night with some tap water In it just to be safe .

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Well The reason for the trashcans, is my tap water ph is over 9 and when it gases out it settles at 8.2. I figured the air stones would help it gas out quicker?? Is there a concern if I do use the air stones? I'm a newbie with this typed of stuff :) Ill need around 60 gallons..

As far as trashcan go I'm looking at the 32 gallon Rubbermaid brute trash can and getting two of them..

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
I use Rubbermaid brute plastic wear at work everyday. I work in a food processing plant. Everything has to be food grade and nsf certified. We have thousands of trashcans and bins. Literally. They are the gokd standard in the food industry.

They are your best Option. I'm sure there are other options, but I can say with the utmost certainty that brutes are safe. Plus they are nearly impossible to destroy.

I'd maybe rinse it good and let it sit over night with some tap water In it just to be safe .

Thanks that's good info. Ill be buying them for sure!!

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I think the agitation would help it gas out and heat quicker also, maybe not necessary but cant hurt.

I know there's a possibility of compromising the structural Integrity of the plastic by letting the heater rest on it. But the brutes are tough as nails, is drag em across concrete with 225lbs of cheese in em lol. Maybe suspending the heater by the cord in the middle of thr barrel would be a good idea anyway. Just a thought

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store