IDK anything about marine aquariums.Is this light sufficient for SPS frags?

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
I have a 18'' coralife 10,000K super daylight F15-T8-BP light I got on craigslist with a light fixture.I just wanted the fixture but it came with it.his was before I decided to do a reef tank.Is this a good light for a 20g tall with live rocks, sand, and corals/Mostly sps's

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
Its pretty bright in the tank. What light would you suggest? I am currently seeding the rocks and growing the frags a bit more in the 20g tank but I will be moving it into a 40g in maybe a month.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
Its pretty bright in the tank. What light would you suggest? I am currently seeding the rocks and growing the frags a bit more in the 20g tank but I will be moving it into a 40g in maybe a month.
Tons of opinions here. Hard to go by looks because corals and stuff need such a narrow section of the light for photosynthesis. If you are handy electrically you could diy a led rig. I will be doing this as I get more tanks online in my multitank system I am working on for the energy savings. If you really want to have the best color and growth most guys will say go the metal halide route still. If it were me and I didn't want to build something I would look at a 4 bulb high output T5 fixture. You can tweak the colors by swapping bulbs, and you would have enough light to grow most anything.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
A good premade MH fixture is about the same as a DIY LED. A good premade LED I would say will run you 1 1/2 to 2 times the MH roughly. Lighting is one of those things you can spend as much as you want to on!

BasicallyBane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
I had a 56 gallon column reef with a 24" fresh water actinic and 6500k led with a Elive "30 inch with 4 white 10,000k and 3 blue 450 nm LEDpods. My corals were thriving and red coraline algae was growing. That light is fine for a 20gallon. Make sure you have actinic lighting too. Anyways, coraline and a lot of good macro algae thrive at 6500-8000k lighting. Too hot on the kalvin scale and coraline or red and blue green algae
won't thrive. I mean the sun never even gets hotter than 6500k at noon.. Just keep the tank well lit. The picture on my profile is actually that same tank, but in the beginning stage of set up.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store