500 Gallon Catfish Tank

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
Next week I will be moving finally to our new house. I got this crazy idea to trade in some of my common cichlid's such as 2 Jags, 1 Red Devil, 1 Red Isleta, 2 Severums, 2 Oscars, 1 Texas, 1 Blackbelt and possibly all my Geo's. Then disperse the rest between the 265 and the 220.

Then go to Gerber's in Dayton, OH and pick up one of their big Red Tails and Paroon and then put them in the 500 along with the Umbee. There is also a rather large Achara Catfish at the LFS that may fit in if it's still there this weekend.

Filtration will be the Ultima II 10K with a 5000-6000GPH pump.

With all the fishing I do, I have an unlimited supply of fish that I can freeze for food.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Sounds great. That will do for about a year or two. By then they'll be needing a larger tank or pond. We have some Parroon Sharks and RTC's at the public aquarium here downtown. The largest parroon out of 10-15 individuals is pushing 48". One of the RTC's is probably 70-80 pounds and 3-4' long as well. All are still growing. It amazes me how fast the Parroon Sharks grow in a large tank. Almost unbelievable if I hadn't witnessed it myself. All I can say is WOW!!! Thanks.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
The catfish are currently in a vat that is half full, I think there are about 10 Red Tails and maybe about the same for the Paroons, I currently have more tank space than what they have been living in for the past 3-4 years. I've been looking at many tanks on YT with these two cats, usually it's just one or the other and are usually in small tanks.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Should get a bullhead, a channel, and maybe a flathead since you're a fisherman. Native cats rule :headbang2

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
Should get a bullhead, a channel, and maybe a flathead since you're a fisherman. Native cats rule :headbang2
Already did that, they are very boring looking :)

Few years ago I converted the 500 to a native tank, it was awesome, had a small Flathead, monster bullhead and at one point a small channel. I will do it again in the future but with the native cats, except maybe the bullhead.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
get a tigrinis, apurensis and a big irwini instead then you can keep em for ever!-)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store