Bichir sand color

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
I have a sen in my bare bottom tank right now and I want to convert to sand and I also have a baby endli waiting for it to grow to go with the senegal, what color do you think would suit the two bichir?

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Depends on what you want to do and what you are planning on doing in the future. If you plan to go with more upper jaws then black would probably be your best choice. If you decide to go with more lower jaws you should probably get a reddish type sand. If you are not going to get anymore or are going to get both UJ and LJ then I'd say garnet. I would recommend garnet either way you go, but (at least for me) it was a chore to get garnet and almost easier to just choose either black or red.

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
I can easily get black sand but I'm afraid it would make my tank look dark (I only have a single t8 lamp for my lighting). I will try to find someone that sells red or garnet sand. Also I think I'm not gonna get anymore bichir/s in the future until I can upgrade.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
If you're going the planted route, flourite is great. It's crimson in color and great for plants. Looks really natural to me. Not sure how it stacks up to garnet sand, but the colors definitely pop on all of my Poly's. Planted tanks are always the way to go in my opinion.

If you want more lighting, its really easy to get tank lights for cheap. Walmart sells these metal light fixtures with clamps in their tool section. You can pick up cfl bulbs nearby. They're honestly an upgrade from most expensive plant lights you can find.

Of course, Poly's aren't fond of well light tanks. I keep my tank half high light, half low light, and put a huge driftwood tree stump on the high light side so that they can get away from the light easily.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Edit: double post

AJD4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Wyoming
I would go black I have a couple of tanks some with black red and white my favorite is black by far but depends on decorations but you can never go wrong with black I found that the fish stand out more no matter what color fish is.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
There is nothing better than garnet sand for polypterus.
IMO there is almost nothing better than getting a good looking palmas palmas on black. May just be me, but I think all of the palmas' look way better on black then they do on garnet. However I'm not complaining with how they look on garnet lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store