Redfin pickerel

Saugeye86

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2015
Denver, CO
My new Redfin pickerel will be here on Wednesday from Sachs systems, can't wait!!! I love northern and Muskie fishing, so I figured get a smaller version!!! Anyone have experience with these fish, tips would be great!! It will be living in a 90gal tank with a 7" saugeye!! They shouldn't bother each other very much I wouldn't think!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Someone posted about them a few months ago.You could try looking for the thread but I'm not sure if the search function is working yet.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
I have 8 of them from my last order this spring.

I got mine around 2" long, and raised them independently. I am unfamiliar with Saugeye, but would not in general think it safe introducing a much smaller fish to a much larger fishes established tank.

Here are a number of tips.

- Redfin pickerel adore surface cover. Floating plants or Duckweed has worked well for me.
- The are jumpers and will require a fully covered (lid) tank.
- They are by far the most difficult of the Essox species that I have kept to get off live. Grass pickerel and chain pickerel that I kept were ALL 100% on cut-chunk fish fillet within 2 months from the same size!
- I find that they are clumsier hunters than their close relative the Grass pickerels. They bang decor and the tank walls occasionally when attacking live feeders. Their strike to hit ratio is roughly the same as Grass pickerel, but not IMO as proficient as Chains.
- (I had 6 redfins a couple of years ago) I made the mistake with that batch of QT the Redfins with in a bin with well QT'd too large gut stuffed Rosies larger than the pickerels. I lost all but 1 pickerel within seconds of them hitting the the Qt bin. They all "?ate?" the larger minnows and died choking. I was able to "rip" the much larger minnow form only ones mouth to make my first Redfin experience last more than one minute!
- They are highly cannibalistic. Care must be maintained to keep the size of the pickerels close to even to avoid loses.
- They seem to prefer less current. I use sponge filters in their tank(s)/ pond(s).
- They have reached 7" - 11" from ~ 2" since I purchased them mid 2014.

This last point totally freaked me out and I have zero explanation!
- I had two redfin pickerel and a 1' + Bowfin die in an outdoor 125 gallon in ground pond with a 300W deicer. The surface froze except for the small area above the deicer, but still allowed for ample gas exchange. The pond had run for two years and water tested good when I put the three fish in it in April. They all died seemingly of cold, wi=hich I thought absolutely impossible for Pickerel and highly unlikely for the Bowfin. They may not have the same temperature requirements of other Pickerel.

(I have both Chain & grass pickerel living in my spring fed farm pond) and with the exception of 20' - 30' around the main above ground spring the surface freezes every year.

I lost over 20 Florida gars there as their metabolism if far to slow to survive Maryland freshwater predators!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
redfins are great fish.

leeman nailed all the major points...

hard if not impossible to get off live (mine is still on it, I gave up lol)

Jump A LOT. I have lost 2 pickerel from jumping thus far.

Extremely clumsy hunters...for an esox species anyhow. Mine hits glass more than feeder a lot of the time.

Great fish all around besides those few hiccups in their behavior. I plan I getting a bunch of grass pickerel when sachs gets them in this year, and probably more redfin as well.

Saugeye86

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2015
Denver, CO
Thanks for the good info!!
I have a plexiglass lid so there is no way it can jump out..
The Redfin will be around 9"-10" long that's all they had in stock when I ordered it from Sachs!!
My Saugeye is around 6"-7" long and always stays on the bottom. I have rocks and caves made for him to hide in, and 6-7 tall plants on the other side of the tank!!!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
pickerel are well mannered when they can't eat their tank mates so your saugeye should be just fine.

On another note...where did you get a saugeye? I just ordered 2 walleye because it is all but impossible to find a sauger or saugeye anywhere.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Just checked out their website. They got some nice natives. Will need to dive in some more and maybe get a few.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store