Northeast Native Tank

Moois232

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
I wanted to get a northeast native tank going and was wondering what everyone thought. What fish would you put in there and does anyone know where I could possibly get around 8" musky/pickerel/pike? Any of them would be great but preferably a Muskie. I've always wanted one but have yet to see one for sale. I have a stocked pond for fishing for bass and bluegill so I'd like to stay away from those fish as I have an unlimited supply an can have them in my tank whenever I'd like. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Moois232

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
I don't think you will be able to buy a Muskie, however look at grass or Redfin pickerel I ordered a Redfin off this site!!! Always great reviews
http://www.aquaculturestore.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

I'd love to get one but it says they are out of stock. Did it say that when you bought yours? Do I have to call? Also what size did you order and do you have any pics? Personal experiences? Thanks.

jstanley_06

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Midwest Indiana
how big is the tank you will be using? I am partial to orange spotted sunfish. I can collect them locally, stay somewhat compact, and of course are gorgeous. I added them to my small koi pond this summer and have plans on doing a native tank featuring them later in the year.

o.spot sunfish.jpg
here is what they look like. this is not my catch but it is a good example of what they look like

o.spot sunfish.jpg

Musky is a definite no go. Unless you have a massive freshwater pond.

Could it be done in the short term? I suppose, but I think the goal of any fish keeper is to only keep the fish we can house confidently for their life span. One could say that they plan on moving a fish once it out grown thier tank, to re-home it as it were. And that's fine, though there are problems with that type of thinking, but with a musky, how can anyone provide for a reclusive coldwater ambush predator that reaches upwards of 50, 60 even 70 inches?

Can you imagine cooling that amount of water required?

Musky are just too big, to sensitive and too easily spooked at large sizes.

Though I'd be fascinated if anyone has done it. I haven't come across a big healthy one in captivity yet that has been there for a long term basis.

Northern Pike is the same deal i'd say.

Perhaps a chain pickerel or grass pike might work.

Saugeye86

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2015
Denver, CO
Walleye are very hard to buy hatcheries will sell them by 100s or 1000s for stocking!!! I caught my saugeye 6 months ago it was about 4" long!! They where in stock when I bought mine!!

Moois232

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
I found a site by the name of Jones Hatchery, which seems very reputable. They have a lot of game fish but has anyone ever bought off of them? I can't get a hold of them so all I can really do is look. They even have paddlefish for sale which is crazy. Any info on this site? Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store