Fish skeleton preparation

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
I wonder if here is anyone who does this?

When my bestbuddybichir dies, i would like to keep his skeleton in special place on display :)

Any tips on how to do this are more then welcome :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

1eyedbicher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
west
Thinking ahead....I like it, My huge ornate died last Dec. and I didn't think of keeping the skeleton until a couple days AFTER the trash Man took Him. ..That is when I saw a post with pics of various fish skeletons and Bichers look amazing (Dinosaurs) .Really bummed Me out that I didn't think of it .He was about 12 Years old and would have made a great mount. Too late , Hope Yours doesn't die anytime soon but I am jealous that You have it planned. If I recall correctly there were some tips on how to do it in that thread if You can find it. And Yes He had one eye haha

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Not sure if the search feature is working yet, but our member "necrocanis" is the go to guy for this subject. Hes not around much these days but he had alot of threads about it and made some amazing skeletal poses. He used to accept frozen fish donations and did a few mounts for other members. He used flesh eating beetles to clean most of the bulk off, then theres no way around kinda hand picking the small bits and pieces off with an exacto knife as fish bones disinegrate with most chemicals, bleaches or even hydrogen peroxide. Its also possible to bury ur specimen and dig it up many months later, but this process takes alot longer. No easy way to do it, but after many long tedious hours its possible to create some real nice pieces. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a link to Necro's old threads to give u a visual and some better info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I don't know if it works with fish but you can buy flesh eating beatles on line. I know they work with mammals.

Sent from my car phone

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
I remember necrocaniss work yea, but cant find any of his thread..seems search in app doesnt work right..need to check hows on pc

1eyedbicher..i saw them on net too and skeletons of bichirs looks fantastic :) since then i decided to do that and keep it "alive" after when hes gone :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store