Need a New Protein Skimmer

Mbartoloni7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
LI, New York
Hello everyone, I currently running a 180 gallon FOWLR aquarium with light stock. However, I have plans to fully stock my tank within the next 3 months. I recently blew my protein skimmer, and I am in search of a replacement, preferably in-sump skimmer. I previously had a eshopps skimmer and was honestly dissatisfied with it's performance. Also the pumps seemed not to last more than a year or two. Unfortunately, my LFS only uses their skimmers for the larger aquariums. I am looking for a fairly priced skimmer that is rated somewhere around 400gal, I have done some research online and I am currently looking at the ASM 4+ skimmer. I am looking for people with experience with this type of skimmer or can recommend a quality skimmer with similar capabilties. Thanks for any suggestions.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
I think you would be happy with that skimmer. Possibly also a reef octopus sro3000 seems to get a lot of good reviews. I have a smaller than you need AquaC that I really like, you would want the 240 size.

puffy127

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2017
I use an Avast Pegleg 180 on my 75g reef. Works very well. Best bang for the buck. I think the Pegleg 250 can support up to 400 gallons.

reefman

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
In front of my tanks
Make one there very simple to make. As
Long as you don't care how it looks. I use to build them all the time when I had reeftanks

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I have a smaller HOB version of the Reefoctopus on my 40g and am quite happy with it. I would recommend them to anyone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store