Best mechanical media for refugium

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
So I just got a 300g tank with a 75g sump/refugium. Well it was a saltwater refugium, but I want to turn it in to a FW one. I've got it split in to thirds. Left third for filtration media, middle third for plants (planning on black diamond sand substrate and dual T5 lights on 10 hour cycle), last third for two mag 12 pumps.

I've always used bio balls as mechanical filtration, but in something this big, I'm not sure what the best media would be.

What's everyone's preferences?

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
You can use the bioballs. I use pot scrubbers and large sponges in my sump. Be sure you have some way (filter pads, micron socks, etc) to remove large particles before they enter the area where your bio media is located.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Bioballs are w hat the name implys. Bio.

Sent from my car phone

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Filter socks

And yea bio balls are for bio
+1. Spent some time cleaning several canister filters yesterday, and was reminded how I can't wait to switch to a sump and use filter socks. I'm guessing you worded this wrong, but if not, then bioballs are essentially useless in terms of mech filtration

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
Okay, so I guess I didn't do the best job explaining what I meant. Let me re-ask this a bit better if I can:

I'm setting up a 75g refugium, what is the best filter media to use? In previous sumps, I've always used bio balls, cylinders, and the like combined with the cut-rite filter pads and lava rock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store