How often should I feed?

Benliving9560

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2014
Coeur d Alene Idaho
I'm wondering what your advice is on feeding my silver aro about 14-15 inches. How often? And what is best? Right now I feed it mainly hirakie carnivore pellets and shrimp occasionally cut talapia and cod. Just wondering what you guys recommend

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I dont keep aros personally, but a good rule of thumb is to feed until they stop eating and remove excess. If signs of obesity start cropping up, cut back. Otherwise you're fine. Eventually you get a feel for it. I have the amount of massivore my poly/gar set up needs down to a science. Same with my grow out tanks. Just takes a bit of time to work out the specifics. Sorry I can't be more specific, that's just my way of doing it with every species I keep.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I feed my jardini every other , carni sticks and raw prawns as a treat

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
^^ edit - every other day

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Benliving9560

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2014
Coeur d Alene Idaho
Thanks guys. I feed him carnivore sticks and then every other day I feed him shrimp. he can eat about 8 shrimp in 2min but I'm wondering is this enough of a varied diet or are there other things I should be feeding him? Also have a 4" African knife and I haven't found a food that he is all that into tried blood worms, beef heart and krill and he will eat it just doesn't seem that into it. Any suggestions there?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I would add tilapia in that diet as well, maybe cut back the shrimp to twice a week and fill in the gaps with tilapia. Never kept aros but I am guessing that would be a good start for a more balanced diet.

The knife will eat when hes hungry. I'd get him on pellets asap.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I feed Solely giant meal worms dropped in one at a time offered daily

I find its best to feed only insects and never let the aro take food from the tank floor

If feel drop eye is caused by aro taking food from the tank base and a non insect diet which they would mainly eat in the wild

I drop in one giant meal worm if the aro doesn't take it I then try again the next day

I also find aros don't eat as much the older they get
Mine will eat for one full month about 30 giant meal worms per feed everyday then not eat anything the next month
The good thing with meal worms is you can feed the worms anything you want the aro to eat

Benliving9560

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2014
Coeur d Alene Idaho
The knife will eat bottom feeder pellets that I drop in for my catfish but they are so small it just docent seem like much I'm trying to grow him out for my bigger tank I'm looking for good healthy growth

And I feed my aro one shrimp at a time if it falls he won't eat it he never eats off the bottom. I feed him crickets but only on days I go to my lfs because the girlfriend hates them and docent like me to keep them at the house so I only buy what he will eat as soon as I dump them in but he is starting to get drop eye on one side iv read a lot on treating drop eye but nothing seems to counter act it but that's the way it goes some times I guess if anyone has any success stories on helping counter drop eye I'd love to hear I'm not interested in doing the surgery I see some people doing just not worth it IMO don't trust myself enough lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store