Datnoid...

Moosehollow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2010
Portland, OR
I find my self admiring this guy every time I'm at my lfs. Can anyone identify what kind of datnoid this is? They said he's in 1.008 salinity but couldn't remember what kind it is, the tag just said Datnoid. I'm seriously considering bringing him home just want to get more info before I do. Thanks for any thoughts.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
There are two types of datnoids and they can be kept in fresh water. Indonesian datnoids and Australian datnoids. Many people argue that they need to be kept in brackish water while many other people with full grown datnoids have experienced no health issues when keeping in fresh water. I guess it all depends on what type of water the fish is currently in, but converting to fresh water shouldn't be a big deal. Just set the tank up brackish and water change weekly and eventually you'll lean out the water from the salt and it should adapt. (At datnoid owner)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There are actually more than two species of Datnioides and I wasn't aware of an Australian species.Moose try to describe the dat that you saw in the shop;how many stripes on each side did it appear to have and was its base color creamy white or silvery looking?

satyajit82

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2013
India
It is from Blackish water (Datnoid Polota), but can stay in fresh water too.
Its native in India, and I had one for 2 years the size was almost 7''...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yep brackish and most people keep them in full freshwater.This one looks underfed so if you decide on it feed it well.

Moosehollow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2010
Portland, OR
The guy at the pet store said it's been there awhile and he would give me a deal on it. I currently have a 56g up and running full of young guppies a few Chinese algae eater and a scattering of ghost shrimp. I also have a 29g that's not setup that I was thinking about trying to convert it to freshwater in. I also have a 75g with stand and sump that's in storage for a future upgrade. I was hoping to keep this guy with a ropefish sooner or later, and thoughts?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What's the dats current tank setup like,does it have it's own filtration or is the tank plumbed into the other tanks in the shop?...I'd slowly acclimate and put the AT in the 55 and let it go to town on those guppies lol and while we are on the subject,I would also want to see the AT eat whatever they have been feeding it before it is caught and bagged up.

Moosehollow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2010
Portland, OR
It's in(I believe) a 20 gallon with An undergravel filter run off air. I also would like to see him set free on my guppy population but I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate being thrown straight into freshwater. How long do you think it would take to acclimate him to fresh water in a 29g? Thanks for all the answers so far!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store