Jaguar cichlid breeding

kpswans

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2015
buffalo
I have had a female jag for a few months now she has laid eggs once before. I recently bought a male when I introduced them they wouldn't stop attacking each other I moved the female to another tank and reintroduced them last week and now there getting along fine. I had a placostimous in the tank with them but he began getting attacked so he is now in a separate tank. So the two jags are the only ones in the tank and eggs were just laid on a slate rock and being heavily gaurded. What's the next step?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When the eggs hatch, they will be wrigglers that won't feed until their yolk sacs are used up. When the wriggler stage hits, is when I start to hatch out artemia/brine shrimp as a first food for when the fry become free swimming.
The parents will usually guard the fry, and I leave fry with the parents until they reach about 0.5", or until they start to cannibalize the parents.
But it is important to closely watch the male, if he starts to vent his hormonal induced spawning aggression toward the female, it maybe necessary to separate the male from mother and fry.

kpswans

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2015
buffalo
I just setup a tank in my basement for the eggs could I move them before they hatch? What should my temps be at?

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
Fries are safe with parent for at least 4 weeks, the next spawning can occur again between week 5 or 6 max (latest at week 7) and you will see parent going to eat the babies and ready for next batch. You should have multiple tanks setup for babies if you want to keep them in long term. I used to breed them but after few time I'm tired of them constant spawn in short amount of time :D

Notes: when remove the babies you should keep some in there so the male would leave the female alone while she not ready to spawn, again DO NOT REMOVE ALL BABIES.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store