Requesting preserved specimens for fish diversity course

tkc_815

Feeder Fish
Jan 13, 2015
United States
Hi all, This is sort of a weird request, but we are teaching a fish diversity course (university level) and are trying to build an ichthyological collection for teaching purposes. What we have so far is very small, and lacking even single representatives in many major lineages of fishes... That being said, I thought that perhaps members of this community may occasionally have a fish die of natural causes, and if so, might be willing to preserve the specimen in rubbing alcohol (70% isopropanol) and mail them to us (PM me for contact info). We will pay for shipping costs, materials used in preserving it, and can even pay for the specimen itself. Sorry if this is a weird request... But, it may provide an opportunity for some continued and valuable use for these animals after death. Particularly we would love to find a representative of Ceratodontiformes (lungfish). Of course, more derived fishes (or literally anything!) will likely fill gaps in our collection (which is again, very limited) and would be very much appreciated.

kody929

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2013
Anywhere, Allthetime
I accidentally killed off a few fish by adding copper yesterday. I had just put them in a bag and froze them so I don't know if that will work. Here is what I have 3 microctenopoma ansorgii, cichla piquita, 8x psudeomugil furcata, synodontis petricola, and a Goldie pleco. Again I could transfer them to alcohol but the freeze may have ruined them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store