Long Time Member getting back into the fish world

nmadsen4

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2008
phoenix
Just like the title says. I've been a member for a pretty long time. Mostly just a lurker but I have posted from time to time. My previous largest tank was a standard 180 and I've always bought my tanks used. Well.... I'm finally coming back now, I've been looking around a lot and I've decided to just buy a brand new tank.

I've heard extremely mixed reviews about Glass Cages and I'd like opinions AND/OR alternative companies to research.

The tank I'm looking at from Glass Cages is their 300 gallon Wide. Which would be 96x30x25, Glass not acrylic and with Starfire for the front but not the sides or back. Normal stand height with extra side door and a canopy. Total bill before shipping was a little over 2k but I've heard that I can negotiate over the phone as well..... So are there other companies out there that I should consider and can they get anywhere close to this price???

Thank you in advance for your time reading this and answering me!!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Welcome back. In sure someone on here has had some experience with glasscages and will let u know. I want to hear myself as I thought about ordering from them before.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
i dont really trust glass cages tanks most of the glass cages tanks ive had always had something bad happen like a bad bow that caused the tank to explode or
bad silicone jobs that caused a leak and had to be resealed & etc. i'd check out midwest customs or truvu tanks though its only acrylic its better made and quality imo.

nmadsen4

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2008
phoenix
i dont really trust glass cages tanks most of the glass cages tanks ive had always had something bad happen like a bad bow that caused the tank to explode or
bad silicone jobs that caused a leak and had to be resealed & etc. i'd check out midwest customs or truvu tanks though its only acrylic its better made and quality imo.
Thanks for the input! how many have you purchased from glass cages? Did you only purchase acrylic from them? I ask because of the bowing. Sorry about the exploded tank by the way... what a nightmare that must have been.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
Thanks for the input! how many have you purchased from glass cages? Did you only purchase acrylic from them? I ask because of the bowing. Sorry about the exploded tank by the way... what a nightmare that must have been.
nah i got 3 from glass cages before all glass standard 180 for grow outs. after that anything 120 and over i get acrylic

nmadsen4

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2008
phoenix
Does anyone else have any experience with Glass Cages or some other companies for me to look at? I have to say.... i'm a little surprised that I've only received 1 opinion so far.

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
I just bought a used 300 that the original owner bought from glasscages. It looked amazing when he set it up and he had no issues. It has starphire glass on 3 sides. I haven't filled it yet, so i can't comment too much.

nmadsen4

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2008
phoenix
Ok so I've had a look at MidWest Customs and emailed them with a pricing inquiry. Truvu had online pricing and I'm now considering going with them..... I'm not too sure about acrylic though, I've never had an acrylic tank. I know it's lighter, stronger, clearer..... but i do have concerns about scratches. I just haven't maintained one before so it makes me nervous.

With all that being said.... Truvu's acrylic prices are actually significantly better than Glass Cages acrylic prices. Glass prices are still unbeatable at GlassCages though. I'm struggling to decide.

Hopefully I can get some more input on the thread here.... I want to do it right this time, i don't want to feel like i need to upgrade after a year again and i don't want to regret my choice of company either.

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
Every now and then i hear people say glass cade tanks exploding or leaking. I wanna sleep at night and be worried free. U dont want a swimming pool in ur house

Imo: anything over 210g, i would go with acrylic. Its got more benefits than glass. As far as scratches, u can buff it out. As far as i know, glass can be scratch too so try buffing that out! Lol

AJD4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Wyoming
Acrylic isn't that bad if your not dumb with it I have glass and acrylic and I have had people moving rocks around in my glass and still scratch it acrylic will buff out if its not to bad of a scratch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store