Just bought my dream tank! 540 gallon acylic!

daphilster08

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
St. Paul/Duluth(college) MN
Whats up MFKers,

I have not been active on this forum for years! Just the occasional every other week lurking. I graduated college and just got busy with life. Have been breeding nano fish, dwarf crays and dwarf shrimp for fun (check out my page Tamed Waters on facebook) but have been missing the monster in my life. I have always wanted a tank with these dimensions and finally got my opportunity. It is 8 x 3 x 3! Exactly what I wanted since I was like 12 ( I am 24 now)! I could not believe my eyes when I saw it. I went and paid the guy at his work the next morning at like 730am. Lets just say I got a steal on a beautifully made acrylic aquarium.

Only dilemma I have now is getting it in my basement. I have a walk in split level. So you can walk right into the basement right through the garage, however I do not think the hallway is wide enough. I may have to pull out some windows on the lower level to slide this tank right through. Unless anyone has any other ideas.

Either way, I am going to make it work, even if it means renovating and putting a new door out the back of my basement. Plan is for some rarer show piece fish and a trio of black rays. I know I just rambled on but I am stoked about this tank!! Glad to be back apart of the community!

~ Phil

Oh, and any Minnesota MFKers looking to give a hand in the Twin Cities please shoot me a PM. We could make it a fun filled weekend with drinking and aquarium set up :)

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
nice, post up some pictures!

i wish i can get my dream tank... i want one big as the biggest aquarium in japan! is that too much to ask for? LOL

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Argggghhhh... i'm jealous, i've got almost 10 years on you and my biggest tank is only a 200G tank...

Anyway, what you planning on stocking the tank with?

daphilster08

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
Thanks guys! Been waiting a long time for this.

I may end up having to leave it in my garage until warmer weather comes and I can take out windows and possible do some house remodeling.. Yes house remodeling just to get this tank in my house Lol But yes I will post pics soon enough!

daphilster08

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
Argggghhhh... i'm jealous, i've got almost 10 years on you and my biggest tank is only a 200G tank...

Anyway, what you planning on stocking the tank with?
Its alright man, you will have your opportunity soon enough. I have been in the hobby since I was very young. Literally breeding some unique fish by the age of 12, and been wanting a monster tank forever.

I currently have a 120 fatboy acrylic aquarium with some large datnoids. The new tank will be primary focus on black diamond/leo stingrays and datnoids. I have a friend that is pretty much willing to give me a leucistic redtail cat so I may take that in for a while too just as a show piece. But I don't want anything bothering the rays when I get them.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ hahahaha, yeah i've been keeping fish on and off for about 15 years myself, dad always had a tank in the house when i was younger as well... But you're right, one day when i move to another country i'd probably setup a larger tank where real-estate doesnt come at premium prices... Till then i'll live though other MFK members large tank threads ;)

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Nice pickup. I wish I could have kept my 540, but it didn't fit.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Either way, I am going to make it work, even if it means renovating and putting a new door out the back of my basement.
I'm sure you've always wanted French doors anyway;)

daphilster08

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
Thanks guys! Unfortunately, Pharoh, mine does not fit either. My basement is on the ground floor (split level) and it does not fit through the door that comes in from the garage. What I am going to do is get it brought in through the window. Unfortunately, one of the windows pops out, but the other is permanent. So I am trying to find a handy man to come in, take out the window frame and all, and re install it after the tank is in. If the stand doesn't slide through the window then I am just going to build a new one. This is going to be a pain in the rear saturday morning, but wish me luck that everything goes alright!

I will be looking for black rays in the near future.

My question for the monster tank guys is, how do you keep nice soft water? Should I buy myself a RO Unit? Would that even be efficient when I am sure each water change is going to be more then that thing can pump out?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store