Predator Tank Questions

atown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2015
us
Hello,
I am a High School Student, and my group is doing a Predator aquarium, the tank that we are getting is 125 gallons, 72x18x22. We are looking for a setup that would be proper for this aquarium project. What do you recommend?

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
Jaguar (parachromis managuense) perfect to keep singly and eat everything you throw at it, must get a male one though, great personality and NOT SKITTISH. :D

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
Go with a sump system for sure-WAY more forgiving when neglected- Whats gonna happen during summer break when there's nobody there to take care of this?

Single species predator = Wolf Cichlid or a mating pair. Shock and aw fish that is a 'glass banger'

Many individual small fish go with a school of Payara, otherise known as vampire tettras. Like pirana but cooler.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Unless someone involved is a fairly experienced fish keeper, I would keep it super simple and go with HOBs. I would do 3 X AC110s or Emperor400s.

In regards to specimen, I'd go with an Oscar: easy to get, attractive, piggish and has personality

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Look into central and south american cichlids. Top on my list would be Jaguar cichlids or Midas cichlids. They have nice color and will cruise the tank as opposed to many other predators that just sit and wait. I agree with the hang on back suggestion or possible canister filters. Oscars are also a great suggestions.

atown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2015
us
We are a group of high school students working on creating a freshwater predator fish tank. We have a 125 gallon tank. We were wondering what types of rocks would be best to put in there. Does anyone have any suggestions.?

atown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2015
us
We have a teacup stingray, Jaguar Cichlid, Peacock Bass, Fire Eel, Black up-side down catfish, and an Arowana.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store