New Fish Owner (HELP)

lynnie0201

Feeder Fish
Jan 14, 2015
United States
Hi everyone! My name is Jen and my fiance had oscars growing up, so in August we purchased a 75 gallon tank, 2 tiger oscars (now 5.5-6 inches), a flowerhorn (now 4 inches), another type of Cichlid who is recently deceased (we don't know why), and an algae eater (now 10 inches) based on the advice of the PetSmart sales person. When the one passed, my fiance replaced him with an albino tiger oscar (now 2.5 inches) and another flowerhorn (now 3 inches). I have been trying to research the best diet (we currently feed them Omega 3 pellets, Omega 3 frozen cubes and occasionally brine shrimp cubes), and compatibility issues. The three Oscars get along well and stick together. However, the larger flowerhorn has recently eaten one of the algae eaters tail fins, and bit the side fin of the 6 inch Oscar, and the smaller flowerhorn hangs out alone at the top of the tank. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated since I do not want to lose another fish.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I'm sure flowerhorn keepers will chime in quick, I have personally never kept one, but i was under the impression that a flowerhorn can only be kept solo, i thought they were too aggressive to keep with any other fish. I could be wrong (maybe even outright completely incorrect), thought I heard that somewhere though and anytime I have seen a flowerhorn over 3.5 inches it is solo. Good luck.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Benliving9560

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2014
Coeur d Alene Idaho
Too many fish that get big and aggressive for a 75gal tank. that is big enough for 1-2 tiger oscars they get big and make a lot of waste. I had my oscars on hirakie carnivore pellets frozen krill and frozen beef heart but my oscars were FAR from picky this is just my opinion and what I did. It's best to vary their diet as much as affordable but they eat a lot

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Welcome.

I'll make the 2nd obligatory "That tank is too small for all those fish" comment.

Now that that is out of the way you need to get rid of the flowerhorns, at least 1 oscar, and the what I'm guessing is a pleco.

Never, EVER, listen to the petsmart people...they are trained to act like they know what works in what tank...unfortunately its all a sales gimmick. IMO a single oscar could make due with a 75...bare minimum but ultimately for fish like that to thrive you need to be in the upwards of a 125 for a single fish...
(petsmart will tell you that an oscar will be just fine in a 75, because conveniently thats the largest most expensive tank they sell in house). You've come to a much better hub of advice by joining MFK.

Anyways, in short, remove the flowerhorns, preferably 2 oscars, and the pleco.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
You should have luck with a single Oscar and nothing else for a standard 75 gallon, if you want one or two hardy smaller tankmates like a striped raph then try to go for at least 100 gallons if not 125.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Welcome to MFK Jen Nice to meet You.......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store