Ray without sump

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
I have a 7x2.5x2 260 gal tank and was wondering if it would be possibly to keep a single male hystrix with tank mates? It's running two 550gph cannisters, a 200gph cannister and a Fluval FX6? I'm asking because a few people have told me that I need a sump to keep rays due to their large bioload.. Tank mates would be a senegal bichir, an ornate bichir, fire eel, an oscar and a vieja synspilum.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Sounds big enough to me, especially with a male Hystrix as he'll stay smaller.

The more filtration the better, but this really could applied as good fish keeping practice to any fish in a tank. You've got a fair bit of filtration. What's you water change regime? That's extremely important

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
I change 50% weekly just now, could be increased if needed but this keeps nitrates in check with my current stock. So it could work then? A ray is my dream fish, have always been put off though because of people telling me I NEED a sump!

brutonsbrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2010
hampton
I have worked with less and had sucsess I'm too lazy these days to want to do all the work of canister I made a 80 gallon sump with all filters and plumbing under 200 us and clean up is every 2 weeks. So why not a sump they will make life easy?

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
There's no space under the tank for a sump, the stand is built with concrete blocks, there's barely enough space for the filters in the spaces between the blocks unfortunately.

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
Your fine. I have a 300 with 2 fx5 s, an eheim 2262 and a cfx500 and havenot had an issue with water quality. I also just recently put on a drip at 50 gpd, I was hesitant to do this at first but honestly it's super easy and can be done for 100 dollars or less

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Glad to hear it, thanks! What is your stock in your 300 if you don't mind me asking? How do you dechlorinate the water when using a drip? Sounds like a good idea.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Just keep up on filter maintenance. Filter socks make it easy on a sump, removes the physical waste before it compromises water chemistry. I don't see many reasons to consider a sump vastly superior to a number of canisters beyond ease of access. Make sure whichever canister seems to receive the most of the bioload has enough mech and you can do it. Sumps just make the process easier and less demanding. Changing filter socks as opposed to emptying a canister washing mech and re-priming it is just a much more simplistic process.

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
Glad to hear it, thanks! What is your stock in your 300 if you don't mind me asking? How do you dechlorinate the water when using a drip? Sounds like a good idea.
I run it through a 3 stage filter from the filter guys but you could use a 10 dollar fin line filter from lowes.

Currently there are 2 pbass, 2 large dats, 1 Florida gar, 1 14" male ray and 5 pups from 4 to 9 inches.

The pups will be going into a 220 grow out soon though.

brutonsbrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2010
hampton
There's no space under the tank for a sump, the stand is built with concrete blocks, there's barely enough space for the filters in the spaces between the blocks unfortunately.
Go for it my female hystrix started in a very similar setup

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store