A catfish tankmate for my kenyi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brown_snake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Australia
I have a single 4 inch kenyi female cichlid living a 40 gallon tank. Now, I'm considering getting a non- mbuna tank mate and I've settled synodontis catfish. Based on what I've heard, despite their pugnacious temperament, mbuna cichlids are actually able to co-exist peacefully with catfish that belong to the synodontis genus. Would anyone be able to verify the authenticity of that assertion for me? Would a synodontis be able to get along with kenyi? Also, what is the common name under which these catfish are sold? Thanks in advance.

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
feather fin synodontis and red tail sharks are the best tankmates IMO

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
The potential problem is that kenyi is more aggressive than the average mbuna and it's in a 36" tank (please verify). It's been there a while. Introducing a single fish of any description could result in the new fish being killed. Do you have the option to switch to a 75G and add more kenyi? Then you could add Synodontis at the same time without worry.

f22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Synodontis work, upside cats are good. Mustache cats. I've even had luck with decent sized giraffe cats and Mbuna

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store