Aquarium safe magnets

Etan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
CA
I'm tired of dealing with suction cups that don't suck. I want to replace all of my cups with magnets. Can anyone recommend any? I was thinking the epoxy coated rare earth magnets should be fine but I figured I would ask.

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
I wouldn't worry about it on a glass tank as much as acrylic, you could also wrap a piece of fine mesh or a fish net to 'pad' the magnet a bit. The only other caution is that rare earth magnets grab eachother hard, if you don't have a good hold of the one on the outside glass when you are getting close to putting it on, the magnet could slip out of your hand and slam into the glass, cracking it. People have had fingertips sliced off by playing with those magnets as the finger got caught between two magnets as they pulled together from a distance.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I've been using mag floats and mighty mags for around 20 years. Never Been cut or cracked any glass

shipmonkey

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2010
US of A
I've been using mag floats and mighty mags for around 20 years. Never Been cut or cracked any glass
The magnets in mag floats/mighty mags are not as strong as the rare earth magnets they are referencing above. Riparium Supply initially used rare earth magnets on their riparium plant holders, but had to stop because the magnets were cracking tanks.

Etan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
CA
I'm more worried more about an exposed metal magnet rusting inside my tank. I didn't know if anyone made coated one that are safe under water for long periods of time.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I'd go with a mighty mag. They have replaceable pads that are acrylic safe. You can get varying strength magnets too. I have one on 1" acrylic and it does fine. Magnets are coated in thick plastic and not exposed. You can even get a scratch remover pad to polish your acrylic without draining the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
I'm more worried more about an exposed metal magnet rusting inside my tank. I didn't know if anyone made coated one that are safe under water for long periods of time.
use krylon fusion spray paint,, its aquarium safe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store