My first planted 180 Gallon tank.

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
Hey everyone ,

I'm quite new to aquatic plants and have already begun to read into different substrates and CO2 and different lighting, but I would really appreciate
a bit of advice on a few things.

Firstly , lets talk about lighting. I Have a marine land fluorescent strip light. Which bulbs should i be using to stimulate plant growth ?

Here are a list of the plants i plan to add to my aquarium: (disregard the numbers in the table)

Micro Sword
Rotala Indica
Anubias Nana
Corkscrew Vallisneria
or Chiliensis
ChainSword
- Narrow Leaf

Ozelot Sword
Banana Plant or
Balansae Plant
Myrio - GreenMadagascar Lace Bulb
Ludwigia - Broad
Java Fern
Wisteria
Red or Green
Cryptocorne
Amazon Sword
Red Rubin
MoneyWort
Temple , Narrow leaf
Radican, Marble Queen

Substrate will be Eco Complete.

Also , Should I be using Co2 or is it not necessary ?

Regards ,

Jon

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

. Check out stickies in our Planted Tanks forum.

. You have a laundry list of plants, that'll look quite busy. But good luck. I'd do without CO2 . Also read my CO2 sticky in said forum.

Look for 6700 K light temperature.

HarleyK

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

shipmonkey

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2010
US of A
If you have a standard 180, lighting can be very tricky. The extreme depth of the tank(30") can pose an issue getting proper light to the substrate. Just a standard strip fluorescent wont work, even T5HO lights have issues. As the person above me said, Kessel LEDs would be a great option, but they are and arm and a leg and you would need at least four of them for coverage. Metal halides would do a great job on a tank like this, but the are expensive to buy and really expensive to run.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I agree with the users above. That's a tough depth. And fixtures are going to be expensive. Some of those plants in my experience are kinda tough. I just started planted tanks about 2 months ago. I bought my t5ho from Home Depot for $90. It's a 4' 4 bulb one. Works great for my 75g.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Whoah. Just diy your own plant lights. Aquarium plant lights are a rip off. I'm surprised no one mentioned this.

Go to Walmart or home depot and buy their "roost lights" with clamps. Buy cfl bulbs that are appropriate for your tank depth. Profit.

Spending oodles of money on plant lights is senseless. Those companies are knowingly and purposely cutting peoples throats.

The ones you make will cost less than 20$ each, and outperform any aquarium lighting on the market. I've used these for years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store