Arrow look alike fish

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
Due to tank size, I am looking for arrow look alike fish as an alternative. I know Arros are unique ancient fish, so I am not looking for genically closed substitute, just resemblance in look and demeaner. Gars and Arapaima will be close, but they get even bigger. I can think of one fish, Red Tail Chalceus, that has some resemblance and don't get big: long body, large scales, predatory, and upper water column swimmer.

Are there other arrow like fish out there that don't grow into giant?

pink-tailed-chalceus.jpg

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
How big you lookin' for in a fish? Check out african butterfly fish. They look like small, brown, fancy as all hell aros in my opinion.

chris1990

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
china
if you are looking for small size prehistorics , then you can try , senegal bichir , black ghost knife ,florida gar or short nose gar ,ropefish , elephant nose fish
for small top water predator , red tail barracuda , needlenose gar , halfbeaks

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
African butterfly fish looks cool, prehistoric and top water swimmer. But they max out at 5", little small for my cichlid tank, and their long fins may invite nipping. No good.

Bichir are cool, prehistoric, but bottom deweller. No good.

Gars are the closest to Arros, but they all get too big. I am looking for fish under 14" to house with my CA/SA. No good.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
what the size of your tank and what cichlids do you own ?
Good questions,Apollo sharks look like aros if you can find them but not sure if they'd be safe with what you have.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I have 125 and 75 g and keep CA/SA up to 14". Arros needs 24" wide tank to be able turn around.
Apple sharks are really nice especially in a large school. Live aquaria has some right now on their site I believe. However they will get nipped on by the cichlids likely. Their fins get a bit long as they grow and are hard to resist to get nipped at.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That might be true but I was thinking they'd be too fast moving for most fin nippers to keep an interest in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store