So you think you can DIY?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
The recession hit America hard, if your household is anything like the mudbutt household, submersible pumps are worth their weight in Ramen noodles. When you've got a plethora of tanks spinning your utility meter in circles, keeping precious equipment functioning requires a little MacGyver ingenuity and a few beers.

I bought this pump a couple years ago for a small 40g/10g sump set up and it was too powerful and I bought something smaller. I tested it out and it worked wonderfully. 475gph.

So I opened it up and this is what I was left with..... it must have gotten dropped or something. Totally shattered. Ive tried to epoxy impellers and stuff before but it doesn't last long. I paid $60 for the pump, and an impeller costs $45? What a joke. Well I'm not just gonna toss it in the trash...

So let's mic the shaft.

Where in the world are we going to find a shaft that size and that long? Keep your jokes to your self.

Oh look! The wife's shower caddy thing is stainless steel! She won't miss this one right here

It just so happens that owning german canister filters is alot like owning german cars. They'll run forever provided you have a book of blank checks and an endless stock of parts. Rolf c.
hAGEN? volkswAGEN? Coincidence? I think not.
wouldn't you know it, I happen to have a couple extra fluval 406 impellers. Just look at those vanes on that impeller compared to the original! This bad boy is gonna haul ass.

The fluval impeller is a slight bit shorter. To remedy this I'm shimming it with a piece of a plastic clothes hanger, which I know are hollow in the center because.. "Dear, if you break another damn clothes hanger when you get your coat out of the closet im going to kill you"

I wouldn't trust it to run valuable life support in a sump to a display 24/7 but im picking up a 25ft roll of 1" tubing this week. This pump will begin it's new life as a tool for emptying my tanks rapidly during water changes.

Thanks for tuning in

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Haha hell yeah it works. Didn't you see the pics? Im not sure if everything posted right, this is my first go around with hyperlinking and img code

Works great, doesn't vibrate or cavitate the way I thought it would. Nice and smooth, lots of volume

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Haha hell yeah it works. Didn't you see the pics? Im not sure if everything posted right, this is my first go around with hyperlinking and img code

Works great, doesn't vibrate or cavitate the way I thought it would. Nice and smooth, lots of volume

Lol, you are MacGyver!:)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

Lol, you are MacGyver!:)

jstanley_06

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Midwest Indiana
nice work on the diy! I do everything I can diy; really gives u a sense of accomplishment along with some pride. u want to REALLY appreciate the hobby? DIY!

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Im down and dirty with every project I do.
It's not a good diy unless im maniacally laughing when I fire it up the first time haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store