Anyone run 2 canisters in series?

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Probably not a good idea because you'd over work the motor but just a thought.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Off of a single siphon you can. Like say you have 2 eheim 2213's rated at 100gph that use a 1/2" hose. You could double that up, make a 1" tube that goes over the rim of the tank as the supply or siphon and have that branch off into a tee which goes to each canister's 1/2" hose.

You cant really combine returns though.

People have put two canisters together, like the output of one feeds the input of the other. In a series. I don't recommend it. Canisters work in a sort of delicate equilibrium where the incoming water and the return work in harmony. On most of my canisters I can undo the latches for the motor heads, and due to the negative pressure the unit is under it won't leak. I cant even take it apart while the motor is running.

I'd be concerned the second canister would be under positive pressure, not negative pressure and be proned to leak. People have done it before though. Im no engineer. Maybe someone else will chime in

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Good info. I wasn't planning on running it. Just a random thought. Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chayos00

Gambusia
Jan 13, 2014
United States
I was actually wondering about doing this to see a canister filter to use at my work tank. I have an Eheim 2211 running on my 3g tank at home, but I picked up a 2213 (same price the other day as the 2211, but 1 liter of media vs 3 liters of media) and was thinking of how I could seed this new 2213 filter if I could put the new one inline and use it there for a week or so. I'm wondering if I could take the impeller out of the 2211 and only power on the 2213 for the push/pull of the water versus turning on both motors and possibly messing something up. Or the other thought is as it's only for about 5 days would it really hurt anything?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I was actually wondering about doing this to see a canister filter to use at my work tank. I have an Eheim 2211 running on my 3g tank at home, but I picked up a 2213 (same price the other day as the 2211, but 1 liter of media vs 3 liters of media) and was thinking of how I could seed this new 2213 filter if I could put the new one inline and use it there for a week or so. I'm wondering if I could take the impeller out of the 2211 and only power on the 2213 for the push/pull of the water versus turning on both motors and possibly messing something up. Or the other thought is as it's only for about 5 days would it really hurt anything?
You could probably just take half of the media out of the 2211 and trade it with clean media from the 2213 when your ready to make the transition. Just a thought

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

hemiboo

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Charleston, SC
Just my own theorys but feel free to correct me.

In line wouldn't be as efficient as them separate because the second one wouldn't be receiving the same concentration of ammonia nitrates and so forth. Your filtering the water before you filter the water.

The first filter would begin to clog first. This reduces it's flow rate. The second would not be able to get the quantity of water it needed and would cause the problems mentioned about burning up motors.

I don't think leakage would be an issue.

Loading the other one with polishing pads or something like that would make it clearer. If you kept the first one clean and everything worked right it would be crystal clear.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

hemiboo

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Charleston, SC
Try it both ways and run your pH, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites numbers here on the board.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
You would lose flow rate by running canister 1 into canister 2. And probably ruin the second from positive pressure. Better to just run both separately

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store