Bichir problems..

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I've ran into a little problem here and idk if it's something I need to worry about too much. I've had my lapradei for close to two months. I just got my endli yesterday. They're both about 12". My lap will just swim up to my endli and bite him? It's not one of the cases of accidental biting as he swims past. Is there something I need to do or will he settle down? They're in a 150g together not really many hiding places but there are a few. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Since you just got the endli yesterday the lap is just trying to figure out what's going on/showing dominance. It should go away in a few days if not then sooner than that.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Since you just got the endli yesterday the lap is just trying to figure out what's going on/showing dominance. It should go away in a few days if not then sooner than that.
Awesome. Thanks. And with lights off my featherfin won't stop chasing and biting the lap. Oh well. He will learn his lesson.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I have two ornates in my tank that were added within 2 weeks of one another around Halloween last year. The first ornate showed extreme, murderous aggression toward the other for the first 3-5 days, going to far as to almost completely remove one of her pectoral fins, and inflicting serious damage to her dorsal spines. They have since settled down, and her wounds have long since healed, but the initial addition (now larger) still chases her at every opportunity. It's not nearly so aggressive anymore.

The aggressor completely ignores the other Poly's in the tank, as well as the clown loaches and gar. :screwy:

mikehagan

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2011
Pittsburgh
Hopefully it has subsided. How are they doing?

In my tank its a constant battle between my PBB and Dabola for king of the tank. If it continues everybody says to rearrange the decor to eliminate territories, but some lower jaws are just plain mean.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Hopefully it has subsided. How are they doing?

In my tank its a constant battle between my PBB and Dabola for king of the tank. If it continues everybody says to rearrange the decor to eliminate territories, but some lower jaws are just plain mean.
They're getting better. They like to lay on each other. The lap nipped again today but the endli swam right in front of him. It's not as intentional anymore.

mikehagan

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2011
Pittsburgh
As long as its more of a "get out of my way" and not them chasing each other around the tank you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

kody929

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2013
Anywhere, Allthetime
Just watch the finnage. Lower jaws tend to bite at a tail if it's moving like food. This is rare in my experience and it's never more than a small skin lesion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store