Anchor worms?

bbluewater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2011
Southeast
So I got a 14-15" datnoid from craigslist for $100 because it has really cloudy eyes. I'm in day 3 of treating the tank with melafix, not sure if that will help the eyes anyway. Last night I noticed some bumps with little things sticking out of the middle of them. Pretty sure it's anchor worms from the pics I saw online. For some reason can"t load a pic. Anyone have something similar? Thanks

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm not sure what you should do about what you've described but here's hoping you can save the fish's eyes.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
The cloudy eye can be treated with clean water and since the melafix didn't help try Erythromycin, that should clear it up. As far as the anchor worm goes, if they aren't located around the head or gill area place a drop of Meth blue on each spot. Don't put it (meth blue) in the main tank just spot treat the fish if you can a 30 min meth blue bath 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons tank water in conjunction with the spot treatment will help. Use the erythromycin in the main tank. Do a 50% water change before you start treating.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Melafix wouldn't help much, it works as a mild antiseptic. For cloudy eyes, I would focus on water quality. Keep your tank immaculate and hope for the best.(with both eyes clouded most likely brought on environmentally). As far as the anchor worms, I would identify your pathogen. Net your fish and remove any alleged anchor worms and examine under a microscope or magnifying glass. If you are dealing with anchor worms, I would treat with organophosphate. Research Lernea, they are a hard one to treat IMO. BY the way anchor worms are actually a crustacean, so don't waste your time with dewormers(prazipro, levamisole, etc) Hope this helps.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Agreed on water quality for the cloudy eyes.I'm wondering how long they have been in that condition.

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Any pics? If you see a bunch of small red threads sticking out of the datnoid's anus, then it's possible they are camallanus nematode worms. These buggers are nasty that feed inside a fish's intestines.. I hope yours isn't the host-free virulent type.. Only way to get rid of them effectively in my experience is with levamisole hydrochloride 2-3 treatments to flush them out while doing large water changes.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I'm sorry to say but what you have described doesn't sound like anchor worms

It sounds like dat disease if it is then there is no known cure for it
It may go and come back but near impossible to fix

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Bluewater,what kind of dat is it?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thinbars are more susceptible to dat disease than the others seem to be.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store