EMERGENCY New arrival congi is dying.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
My congicus arrived this morning and was floating in his bag. The bv endli I ordered was also floating. I snapped a picture and immediately floated them, cutting the tops of their bags to make 'boats,' and adding a diminutive amount of prime. I allowed the temperature to settle and drip acclimated them. Both still looked very bad, so I gave them each a salt bath. The bv endli perked up, as did the Congi. After their salt baths I released them into the tank. The bv endli is fine. The congi careened into the substrate and flipped over. I helped him back onto his belly. He struggled but was weak. When he flipped again I removed him and placed him in a hospital bucket with a heater and air stone. He is on his belly but is very distant.

What do I do? Someone help me!

Etan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
CA
You've really done all you can. Just have to try to keep him comfortable and see if he comes around unfortunately.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I can't tell if he's breathing or not. This is miserable.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Unfortunately all you have to do is wait it out. What I would've done was immediately place the bichirs into the tank. If the tank water is warmer than the bag, you don't have to acclimate them to the temp cuz temp shock only occurs if going from warmer water to colder. I hope he pulls through for you though

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
what's the point of moving him back and forth and salt bath's. what is salt bath going to do? I think all it do is make it worst. all you are doing is stressing and shocking the fish even more. When my 9'' scat came, it was upside down in the bag & floating. I thought it was dead. sometimes shipper's use bag buddies or liquids to sedate the fish so it will go crazy during shipping so it might look dead or is not moving.

Anytime im going to get a shipment of fish in the mail esp in the winter time, i lower my tank temp min which is 70's... this way, there won't be a big difference between the tank temp and water in bag temp. too much of difference will shock it.

I usually just dump the fish in the tank with lights off or use the drip method to acclimate the fish. leave the fish alone and it should be fine.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
The salt bath just saved the endlis life. And they didnt get moved around. The temp acclimation, drip acclimation, and salt bath all happened in the same place. It was a mild salt bath, known to remedy stress. 1/8 recommended dose. Within 40 seconds of adding the salt the bv was breathing normally and capable of keeping his belly down/back up.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Drip acclimating, always a good call.(realistically you would want to match all water parameters, not just temp).I probably would have left in DT, unless it was being harassed by another tank mate, this would give it the best chances of survival. You could try inceasing O2,by adding a few airstones, seems to speed recovery.... As mentioned above, now is a waiting game.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
I've read many times that methylene blue is what fish should be dipped in if they're experiencing acute ammonia or nitrite poisoning from shipping since it restores the ability to absorb oxygen.

Ya need to scroll down a bit.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquariummedication3.html

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I'd cover the tank and keep the lights off. I'd also put some salt in there and keep the tank heavily aerated. Wait a little longer and see how it does if she does fine keep her in there for a couple days before putting her back in. Try and keep the lights off and tank covered for the night to try and reduce stress of seeing any outside tank movement. Like others have said it's basically a waiting game. I'd also keep an eye on the BV and try and do the same with keeping the tank lights off and make sure the tank mates are picking on him.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
He was removed after repeatedly rolling onto his back. The bucket has my most effective airstone and a heater.

The bv endli is now hunting ghost shrimp. He almost just got one. Already proving to be highly active and energetic. That blows my mind. I pulled him out of the box and was 100% sure he was dead. Not three hours have passed and he's already fine tuning his abilities to hunt and kill inverts. If that doesn't say '100 million years of refusing extinction' I don't know what in the hell does. What a mind blowing species.

Appeal to your gods for my congi. If he dies I'm going to feel like hell. He would've been fine in the wild. But thats how it goes, isn't it? We love them because their world is incomprehensible to us. We are transfixed. And thats just how it goes. We're on top of the chain this time around, and so we do what we want. Sometimes because it stimulates us and sometimes because we can. Even if it is sometimes a cruel thing. Its really just a chilling reminder that among species who can understand what it means to have clean hands, there are no clean hands. The others tear each other to pieces day in and day out and there is never any dirt. Its not like that for us. I don't want to know what it means.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store