What size would you add bass to stingray trio?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I have 3 leopoldi rays, from 13-19 or so inches alone in my 400. I am growing out a wild caught kelberi bass. He's always been shy and timid, a very slow eater and even slower grower, I'd put him at 7". However my 75 system is not as healthy as the 400. I don't have any experience with the aggression of rays towards other fish. At what size would you recommend I add him to the 400? I don't have any decorations in the big tank for him to hide around, so not only do I gotta worry about him getting killed but stressing too much. Unfortunately only eats worms, can't get him off em yet. Any advice appreciated.

While I'm posting, what size would you be comfortable adding silver dollars?

Thanks

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
I wouldn't risk putting a fish of 7" anywhere near rays the size of yours, only a matter of time before it's over powered. Wait until he's grown to more like 12". If you can stuff the worms with massivore his growth would speed up.

As for the dollars they'd need to be LARGE also. I think it works better to grow the rays out with the dollars if possible

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Thanks for the input. I don't see myself getting the kelberi to 12" in my 75 very comfortably and that's my only other setup. I mean it's possible, tank is 18" wide, but that's a pretty big fish for a 75 gal that has 6 silver dollars, a common pleco, and a freshwater moray eel also. Don't have the cash for an upgrade either, the 400 is enough for the big fish anyway. I do believe that fish grow faster with more room around it, so it would be a long road to 12". Not that I'm not going to take your advice, just wish there was another way, maybe I can risk 10"? Wish he wasn't so shy.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
The growth is determined by the water much more than the room. If you can upgrade the filtration and do heavy WC's you should achieve good growth even in the 75

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Thanks. WC is 50% a week. Do you feel i am under filtered with an eheim 2215 and an aquaclear 110? The aquaclear is a bit old.

Btw just a bit of context I'm not entirely hopeless, I've raised 10 other bass in this exact setup, 7 of which I have broke off of live food, it is simply this one that is giving me trouble. I just like to hear other opinions.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
I was never able to keep bass with my rays. My rays tackled and killed every bass i ever had from 8" inches to 18" inches

I dont think bass see good at night and get used to the rays too much

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Ahh that's bad news, I like this guy so I gotta try haha. Good thing I asked though I was half debating (not seriously) tossing him in while I'm home on the weekend and seeing how he holds up.

How did yours die btw? I went to sell my xingu one morning and as soon as i netted him he extended his jaw as if to get as much air ad he could and rolled over and died a few minutes later. As if he was exhausted you know? Wonder if they suffocated him, he was pretty small but no marks from ever being picked on.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
It's risky adding any new fish to a ray tank even new rays

No one can say for sure what will happen and only the owner knows his own fish

I'm fairly lucky and can get away with things others wouldn't dare do
But that said even my rays will put up with a curtain amount
My Rays will tolerate 6 tinfoil barbs no more no less if I add 1 more then one will get picked off within a week it may not even be the new one added
If I have only 5 barbs they will start picking them off until the number is back to 6

My point is you have to try and see what happens but I would say 10"

A deep tank also helps

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
ive had lots of bass and never a problem, Have a Blue night light that is plenty bright and you will be good, bass are fast strong fish

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
7 inch is too small imo.

I added a 12 inch bass recently.And my 16 inch bd leaves it alone. They get on fine..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store