Because I'm bored (only read if you are too)

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
So I recently ordered 20 F1 moba gibberosa fry. I ended up with 21. My hopes are to end up with 10-12 females and remove all but 2 males or even all of them and add two males from a different source. Mathematically this is reasonable correct? In the aquarium I know it is recommended to keep 1 male for multiple female gibberosa, but does anyone have any idea if this is an occurrence in the wild? In other words do wild colonies contain less males than females? and would this have any impact on m/f ratios? I did say I was bored...

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
Yeah, last group I had was a wild caught group I bought. They did breed a few times, but never kept the fry to a large enough size to sex...

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Zaires have been observed in the wild to be in small groups, with a male and a small number of females. Some feel they breed better as a smaller group in a tank and ime there's something to it, but it's not a 100% rule. They've also been observed in the wild in loose aggregations of over 100 fish, so in the wild small groups might apply to breeding harems but it doesn't mean they always travel that way.

In a tank, different combinations work for different people, including multiple males. Might not seem that helpful if you're looking for a clear cut answer, but that's the thing with gibberosa, they vary a lot in temperament and what works in one tank doesn't make a rule that you can always count on.

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
Zaires have been observed in the wild to be in small groups, with a male and a small number of females. Some feel they breed better as a smaller group in a tank and ime there's something to it, but it's not a 100% rule. They've also been observed in the wild in loose aggregations of over 100 fish, so in the wild small groups might apply to breeding harems but it doesn't mean they always travel that way.

In a tank, different combinations work for different people, including multiple males. Might not seem that helpful if you're looking for a clear cut answer, but that's the thing with gibberosa, they vary a lot in temperament and what works in one tank doesn't make a rule that you can always count on.
I appreciate the input, no worries I don't think there really is an answer, only hypothesis as to whether gibbs are more likely to be born female than male.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store