aquatop cf500 virtually no flow?

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Hey guys. After a water change and reprime of my aquatop cf500uv, I noticed that Its flow had decreased to virtually nothing. I'm stumped. It has a ton of biomedia inside, 2L of substratpro and all of the included media, and my hoses are definitely in need of a trim, but there is no way that this is causing the problem. It was operating at a favorable capacity before the waterchange to my knowledge. Its less than a month old. It was certainly operating favorably for the first few weeks. I can't even feel any tug on the 'to filter' hose unless I wrap my hand almost all the way around it. Gah. Help!

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Also, if I tip it at a 45 degree angle to get rid of air bubbles after priming (as it states ought to be done in the manual) it now pours water from out of the top... That is certainly new.

When I say top, I mean the space between the removable top of the filter and its body.

fish squish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
United States
Not sure what the problem is but I've also had problems with these styled filters. I think the 45 degree angle leaking is normal due to design. Not positive. My Sunsun model first cracked at the top of the unit under the pump. Epoxied it together and now it always gets air inside and has to noisily purge itself every 10 seconds. Currently not in use. Did you clean the impeller? Is it running full or only partially filled? Also had a ***** of a time priming my unit. Had to make sure I filled it after cleaning.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Still experiencing the same problem. I didn't clean the impeller because it was bought new. Is this problematic? I'm considering returning it, but it was purchased online so my desire to do so is low.

It has 1L of eheim substrat and all of the included media -carbon. It previously had 2L of eheim but I reduced the amount when I first experienced the problem.

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
Some pictures of your set-up would help. But answer these questions:
1. How long are your hoses?
2. Where is the unit positioned in relation to the tank?
3. Is the intake/outlet unit sitting properly on the top housing?
4. Did you really read the priming instructions?
I have an Aquatop and did experience problems in the beginning but I realize it was my fault for not doing some things properly.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
The unit is beneath my 180g, and hoses were cut to ensure that there is no slack. I read and followed the priming instructions.

CAM04015.jpg

CAM04015.jpg

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Thanks a ton for your feedback. The hose on the right side of the filter was initially facing in the same direction as is pictured on the box, but I turned it to see if anything would change. I am guessing that the unit gets 40 or less gph presently. Debris drifts right past the input and the tug isn't enough to even sway it.

I should note that I am not positive that it ever got decent flow. That was my initial perception, but I did not actually check until after the aforementioned water change.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Thanks a ton for your feedback. The hose on the right side of the filter was initially facing in the same direction as is pictured on the box, but I turned it to see if anything would change. I am guessing that the unit gets 40 or less gph presently. Debris drifts right past the input and the tug isn't enough to even sway it.

I should note that I am not positive that it ever got decent flow. That was my initial perception, but I did not actually check until after the aforementioned water change.
I just had a problem with my sunsun that had no flow. I couldn't figure it out for a couple days, I tried removing media, changing hose angles and head height. I had a piece of the mechanical floss stuff on the very top "shelf that was fine for a while but I guess it was getting sucked up some and basically eliminating any flow. So if you have a piece of that mechanical filtration on the top try moving it and see if that helps any.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I'll give that a shot. I have heard stories of people comparing its flow to fluval fx5 filters. Not my experience at all. My whole experience with this unit has been overwhelmingly negative. Bleh. If it doesnt work I guess I'll try to return it. I have considered removing trays, but that seems pointless if its going to be operating at a lower capacity regardless.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I own 3 of these Sunsuns for the past year and a half and have had no issues. On the largest model, the flow is decent but no where near that of an FX.

Now, what you need to do first is inspect the o-ring that seals the head and the body. Check to see that its seated properly with no frays or deformity to the o-ring. Did you notice if there was even ever any lubricant on that o-ring?

Next thing is check all the hose and openings to make sure there is no blockage of any sort.

Lastly, take out the impeller and inspect and rinse everything (impeller, housing unit, etc). Use a flashlight and look into the impeller's housing unit to make sure that its free from of foreign matters (like sand).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store