Switching to pellets, could this work?

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Hey guys,

My 20cm+ Jar has been eating locusts and Morio worms all his life, including in the LFS. Whenever he sees them, he goes bonkers!

However, that's a costy meal to throw in every day (at least here in belgium), and locusts have the inconvenient of dying rather quickly so I cannot stock for a month... (Which I can with the worms)

I was wondering, would it make it any easier to get him onto pellets to crush the carnisticks I managed to import into a kind of powder, and shake the worms/locusts in a box with hikari powder to get him used to the "smell" and taste? Every other of my fishes eat pellets (when they don't have time to snag one of his worms...), so it wouldn't be an issue throwing only that into the tank, but as I am sure you'll all admit, it feels "mean" when you're trying to get a monster like that onto pellets for the first time... (All my fishes have always eaten dry food since the day they get in, including my WC ones)

Is it worth trying or should I just be starving him knowing if he doesn't eat within 3 minutes, the pellets mysteriously (Yes, I'm looking at you, Mr Oscar...) disappear...

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
being around 7-8" it's still a baby you can try and starve it for a day then try feeding it pellets the next day or use garlic to entice it's hunger.
make sure you soak the pellet good and those pellets garlic stinky nice and wet lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store