DIY ~700-900G tank idea

bridgenewb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Intro:

Coming this spring and summer I will be redoing my rear lower floor (I live in a Backsplit), and when I do it I want to build a MASSIVE tank, with 3 sides nearly all glass, to separate the office space where my girlfriend and keep our desks from the lounge area. The tank dimensions I'm looking at are 9 to 10' in length to match the length of the sectional I will get, 3' high and 3.5' wide.

I'm no stranger to DIY projects, I've done tons of builds around my house including custom king bed and custom aquarium stand for my 75 Gal with a bowed front to match the tank. I can post a how to if anyone expresses interest.

Right now I'm completely in the idea stage and looking for tips/advice on how i should go about planning this build and potential setup.

Here are my thoughts so far: (I will edit this as my ideas change or am told to)

Paint drawing of what I invision my tank looking like:

Glass thickness: 14 mm (from what i've read it's more than enough)
Plywood thickness: 1" (2" on base to be safe)
Height of water 29" (7" air space)

Fish/other List: (* fish i already own)
1-2 Arowanas
5 Bala Sharks*
1 Glass Knifefish*
1 Sailfin Pleco*
2 Red eared sliders (turtles)
and what else?

Plant list:
Haven't given it thought as of yet

Water control:
I would use a double canister filter system with an inline automatic heater and CO2 Reactor, also have an automatic level control which would pull from a 5 Gal bucket I can refill in my laundry room. The waterfall (filter outlet) should oxygenate the water enough.

Nothing I have put here is set in stone, this is purely my thoughts and ideas at the moment and i'm looking for feedback.

Thanks in advance,
BridgeNewb

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster
Looks interesting. You are going to need more than a 5 gal bucket to maintain a consistent water level.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
Welcome to the forum! Looks like a cool project! I've not seen the idea of a brace being a turtle shelf like that before. I am a woodworker that has an old 47 bow front laying around so I would enjoy seeing what you came up with on the stand. I believe you are thin on the glass for a 36" high and 10' long. I would think you would be into 25mm at that size. Hoping to watch it come together!

bridgenewb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Looks interesting. You are going to need more than a 5 gal bucket to maintain a consistent water level.
What kind of evaporation rates would I be looking at? I was figuring I would have to fill the bucket every 1-2 days with the tank temp being 78F.

Welcome to the forum! Looks like a cool project! I've not seen the idea of a brace being a turtle shelf like that before. I am a woodworker that has an old 47 bow front laying around so I would enjoy seeing what you came up with on the stand. I believe you are thin on the glass for a 36" high and 10' long. I would think you would be into 25mm at that size. Hoping to watch it come together!
I will message you the thread and once I make it, expect it in a few days as i will probably make a video. It was a fun project and a great intro into using a router and other tools most people might not have used before. The thickest glass I have been able to find from local glass cutters has been 19 mm, also do you use tempered glass?

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
I personally have read nothing that makes me comfortable using tempered glass. I see you are in Canada, thank you for sharing your national sport with us by the way (go Wings!) so maybe you could contact miracles or another tank builder about glass recomendations. ThIs is not something you want to take lightly! Looking forward to the stand thread, and this build.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
From what I understand, tempered glass is stronger than regular float (plate glass) in the same thickness.

however tempered glass lacks the flex or give that float glass has. Depending on what your doing this can be desirable or undesirable. Tempered glass will literally shatter into a million pieces in the event of a failure where as float glass has a tendency to fracture, crack, or break into larger pieces. Tempered is more difficult to cut and drill also.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bridgenewb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2015
Ontario, Canada

I have drafted up my tank on SketchUp, doing so has made me come to realize two things I need to figure out:

1. What kind of base should it have? I'm thinking cinderblock would be cheapest and easiest but would leave me with very little space underneath for filtration etc.

2. I was planning on having the filter inlet come through the bottom of the tank on the all glass end to not block the view from the outside, but I cant figure out how i would run it through without leaking and being able to take all that head pressure without sliding down and out.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I agree with the others, 14 mm is not thick enough. 19 mm should be fine, not tempered.

For your base, I've seen the plywood tanks done a few ways. Cinder blocks is one option, I've also seen it done with wood and steel. Steel you will have the most space under the tank but will probably pay the most for. Also you may have trouble getting it through any doors unless built on site.

Filter wise, you will need to install bulkheads and plumb the canisters using pvc rather than the supplied tubes, there wont be a way to get a leak proof seal by drilling a hole and siliconing or another method.

Also, I see you are planning plants and a CO2 reactor, however your plans for the waterfall will combat the CO2 and release all the co2 you are putting in, how do you plan to get around that? Are you just going to be injecting a ton of CO2?

bridgenewb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Two canister filters having two seperate outlets, one feeds the waterfall the other with the co2 reactor and inline heater go into the tank about halfway down into a rock pile (ontop of a cave), I will have there to disperse the water flow. Im currently working on the Sketchup putting in the piping. Going to make a visit to the hardware store to see if its something i need to order too.

I talked to my father, there are threaded pvc flanges i will install bolted (with gaskets) into the base and sides for the outlet and inlets. This will be done after fiberglass but before rubbering the tank so that there will be 2 layers of protection. Then the pvc pipes can just be treaded in from either end.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store