Which weld on product for poor tolerances?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Im building a pair of large acrylic HOB filters approx 700gph each.

I've got an 8x3 foot sheet of 1/4" acrylic. I'm just basically building a simple rectangular cube and using bulkheads instead of making a "chute" for the water to go down, so it's gonna be a really basic box.

I've got a nice compound miter saw that can make some of the cuts really nice, a circular saw, and jigsaw. the table saw I have access to is inoperable at the moment.

I know some of my cuts wont be 100% perfect, is there a thicker weldon product that will fill minor imperfections and gaps?

All said and done each of these will be similar in dimensions to a 5.5g tank, but will only be 2/3rds full max.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
There are no Local acrylic shops. A couple glass shops I've patronized, but I dont think they do acrylic.

Im looking online exclusively probably.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0096...SY165_QL70&dpPl=1&dpID=31WzwuWRLdL&ref=plSrch

Is something like this cement the consistancy of like a silicone caulk?

Something that goes on like rtv silicone or wood glue, would be ideal.

This thing will probably only hold 2-3 gal of water, I don't want it to fail, but I dont think this occasion calls for the big guns like weldon 40

I know bonding acrylic is more like plastic welding. I wasnt sure if they made thick or gel like solvents. What I've seen is really runny

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I would use 40 myself to make sure they are solid. Might use 4 just to get it all together then 40 to really make sure it's sealed well.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store