Large Cages

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
So for those of you that keep large reptiles, where do you get your cages from? I'm trying to find a place, so far I've looked at custom cages or something and monster cages. I'm wanting one that is 72x24x30H, preferably sliding glass doors and wired to where I can put the ceramic heat bulb and UVB light inside it for my bearded dragon.

I know there's the option of building my own but I tried that with a 48x24x24 for him and it ended horribly and with me having to just buy one anyways.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
All of the large cages that I've had have over the years and present have been homemade. My father is pretty skilled at carpentry and has a large work shop with a ton of tools so he was always happy to build them as long as I supplied the materials and blue prints. Now I build them myself from what he's taught me over the years. He still likes to help me build them when he has the time.

If you have tools and you're not afraid to give it a try you'd be surprised and what you can build just by searching the internet for ideas. The last thing I constructed was a tortoise table for my Sulcata and before that was my Ackie Monitor enclosure. Feel free to ask me any questions on the build. In a few weeks I'll be constructing a screen cage for a pair of Abronia graminea so stay tuned.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?526367-A-LONG-overdue-Ackie-photo-shoot

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
All of the large cages that I've had have over the years and present have been homemade. My father is pretty skilled at carpentry and has a large work shop with a ton of tools so he was always happy to build them as long as I supplied the materials and blue prints. Now I build them myself from what he's taught me over the years. He still likes to help me build them when he has the time.

If you have tools and you're not afraid to give it a try you'd be surprised and what you can build just by searching the internet for ideas. The last thing I constructed was a tortoise table for my Sulcata and before that was my Ackie Monitor enclosure. Feel free to ask me any questions on the build. In a few weeks I'll be constructing a screen cage for a pair of Abronia graminea so stay tuned.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?526367-A-LONG-overdue-Ackie-photo-shoot
That cage is amazing. I'd love something like that for my guy. I just don't have the access to tools or the patience to pull it off. How did you make those ledges in the background? I love those, I would force myself to be patient enough to make those.

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
That cage is amazing. I'd love something like that for my guy. I just don't have the access to tools or the patience to pull it off. How did you make those ledges in the background? I love those, I would force myself to be patient enough to make those.

The background really isn't that hard to construct, it just takes some time. After building the top part of the cage I set it down laying on it's back. Next I used sheets of 1" thick foam insulation and glued it to the back to make the ledges. I cut them at different angles to make them look more natural. Next I sprayed "Great Stuff" spray insulation between the ledges to help hold them in and give them some strength. Next after everything was dried I coated all the foam with 2 layers of hydraulic cement. Let it dry between coats. After that dried I covered the cement with my choice color of tile grout. I gave it a few days to dry and that was it.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Glass display cases from businesses work pretty good. You can usually find them pretty cheap if you look out for them. With wood floors its easy to cut out for a sunken tub and then its also easy to put heating pads underneath to prevent burn risks. You can also put them together easily if one isn't big enough by taking out side panels

I have built my own with just framing wood too, using hardware cloth and then shrink wrapping the whole thing for ventilation control.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store