Black belt cichlids in saltwater...is such a thing true?

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
I have read that Paraneetroplus Maculicauda can and do live in full strength sea water (salinity of likely 1.025-1.028) and have even been observed spawning in full strength sea water.....has anybody out there kept their black belts in salt/brackish water? And does anybody have an credible sources that can support this claim?

crash83

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
Houston,Tx
This is true..
However the fish in the wild have traveled through the rivers starting in freshwater then going to brackish and finally full saltwater.
I would not advise going out and buying a Black belt and throwing him in a saltwater tank.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
This is true..
However the fish in the wild have traveled through the rivers starting in freshwater then going to brackish and finally full saltwater.
I would not advise going out and buying a Black belt and throwing him in a saltwater tank.
I wouldn't put my Black Belt in my reef tank, pretty sure he'd destroy everything in there too, considering how he absolutely ruined my 40 gallon planted tank when he was 4 inches.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Yup what crash83 said. I've heard this too. I even hear the blackbelts that are in brackish water have crazy reds all over there body. And mayans can go full salt as well! Jack Dempseys even prefer brackish conditions but cant go full salt. Heres the link of a study done at University of Michigan http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/51532/Oldfield_Saltwater_Cichlids_2004.pdf
I am going to read this tomorrow. Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
There is nothing exciting about learning fresh water fish can be acclimated to salt water. It will be exciting if the reverse can be done. Maintaining a fresh water tank is so much easier than salt water, and salt water fish are so much more colorful and variable than fresh water fish. Won't it be exciting to have Damsel, Clown, saltwater angels and butterfly fish to swim in a freshwater tank side by side with cichlid.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
There is nothing exciting about learning fresh water fish can be acclimated to salt water.
I think it's pretty cool. Not because I would set up a marine tank for one but just because I find interesting that a fish can survive in both environments.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
There is nothing exciting about learning fresh water fish can be acclimated to salt water. It will be exciting if the reverse can be done. Maintaining a fresh water tank is so much easier than salt water, and salt water fish are so much more colorful and variable than fresh water fish. Won't it be exciting to have Damsel, Clown, saltwater angels and butterfly fish to swim in a freshwater tank side by side with cichlid.
I would agree with you if this was the saltwater forum but since it's the CA/SA section and I don't give a rats (you know what) about Nemo. I think it's pretty cool info and an interesting read.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store