Distichodus sexfasciatus Size

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Hey, does anyone know the max size of these guys? I'm reading they rarely get over 16" in the aquarium setting, does that sound about right? Thanks

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Haven't raised these but I was looking into them and I'm always hopeful to have them.

They reach 30+ inches in the wild. That's the correct size if not larger.

One of the reasons they "rarely exceed" 16" is probably the same issue as with many large fish. If someone raises it in too small a tank (e.g., a 50 or 75 or 100), it will likely be stunted or die well before it's natural lifespan due to inadequate tank size. These also appear to be shoaling fish, so I'm not sure if one only has 1 or 2 of these, how it will do, but it often doesn't work out.

If you have a lot of room for them and can fit in a shoal, feed them and have great water conditions, I think you will exceed 16" comfortably. I don't see why 25-30" isn't attainable. According to this article they get to 40".

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/the-sixbarred-distichodus-full-article.htm

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Yeah I hear ya on the size. So in your opinion, if you had a large enough tank and kept it healthy it should get close to that 30" or more? I don't have one yet, I'm in the research stage. I just set up a 300 gallon and figuring out what I want stock it with. From what I read they are a shoaling fish when younger but do better as a single fish as an adult, not positive that is accurate though. Does anyone else have one of these that can share info: Growth rate, sizes, better as 1 or groups, etc... Thanks!

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
They apparently grow quickly to around 10-12" (1 year.) Some have lived for 25 years and kept growing, so it's reasonable that many people never see it in it's full potential. As for shoaling, the general rules are 1 adult or a lot of adults. And no other fish in the tank with stripes as these get aggressive!

http://www.stamps4fish.co.uk/fishclub/FISH/DISTICHONTIDAE/Distochodus.htm

Here's more info on growth rate and age. I think a 300 gallon is a good start.

World Fish Records indicates a 39" one was caught, but unlike most of their records, that one was pretty sketchy. These are likely in some public aquariums, so they would be a good reference.

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Thanks that good info! I never heard of the stripe thing. Do they get aggressive toward other striped fish? I've been considering adding a Datnoid and/or Clown loaches as well. Will I run into issues there?

KAWAMIKIE

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
I picked up one two weeks ago. It's small about 3".
I hope it turns out more peaceful then the 15" Lusosso I've had in the past. The Lusosso would destroy the fins of any tank mates.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I wasn't aware that they grew so big.I bet a shoal of large flagtails would be an impressive sight.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I have had them many times always bought them small,when get to be larger they are fin and scale nippers and go for the eyes and leave white permanent damage to eyes,In the fish books they say they are peaceful,but they are not.My friend has always had a love for them he had them up to 2o to 24 inches,they lose there color and get to be washed out looking as they grow larger they are nice to keep till about eight or nine Inches and then get a nice store credit.At that size most stores ask about $400..00 bucks,Take a good trade and run.

Rob00000

Feeder Fish
Apr 4, 2017
Hey, does anyone know the max size of these guys? I'm reading they rarely get over 16" in the aquarium setting, does that sound about right? Thanks
I have had one maybe 4 years now. 150 gallon tank. Went from 4 inches to maybe 9 now, still great color. Really doesn't seem to be growing any more. He's the largest fish in my tank, some of his tank mates are 1 inch chain loaches. He could care less about any of the other 100 plus fish. Once in a while he'll "quick chase" the second largest fish in the aquarium a T-barb. One length of the tank at most, just to remind the barb he's the big dog. Absolutely love him. He has one bad eye, purchased that way at a discount, maybe that's why he is peaceful and not huge. I also don't overfeed-he gets what they all get, every other day-rotating flake and blood worms. Zucchini once in a while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store