Help

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I believe the motor on my fx5 has finally quit on me. Lasted over 5 years. My question is where can I purchase a new one and have it shipped to my house ? I have tried looking on ebay and amazon but I did not see one . Any Canadian aquarium supply place ? Thank you.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
Thanks for some reason my computer doesn't like me. Im almost better off buying a new one or a new filter. I have a pond pump in the aquarium right now but I have to get something quick .

Andrewtfw

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Maryland
Remove the motor housing from the fx5. Pull the impeller out. Clean impeller and impeller housing. Replace impeller in housing and plug in. If no movement or vibration, motor is dead.
A 5 year old fx5 should not need a New motor, though it may need a new impeller and o-ring.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I was having issues with it making a horrible noise before. I pulled it apart cleaned it really good and put it back together and I get nothing. No noise and it seems to me that there is no power running into it. Maybe I will go check out pet smart we have one here.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
Or I can always use my 20 gallon and build a sump . it may be a cheaper route . I will eventually have to build a sump for my custom build I'm having done . so maybe its time to learn a new skill !

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Most likly the impeller which is a cheap fix. If you know how to do it the sump is the best option. Somtimes the plastic cracks I've also had the plastic clip that holds the impeller cap break and once unseated the impeller makes a loud rattling noise check bothe and replace still under $20.00.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
Thanks . I guess the first step is pulling it apart again and take a good long hard look at it. I hope its just the impeller. If not I'm going to go the sump route if I can. It just seems a lot easier to maintain than this fx5 ! I've had non stop problems with it for the last 6 months .

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
Well I pulled it apart and I have good news and bad . the motor is still going strong ! Bad news is the impeller is bent. I'll have to order a new one through the lfs . it will take a week to get one so my benifical bacteria is basically gone and I'll have to recycle the tank with large fish in it. Wish me luck !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store