Clean up crew for my Hystrix

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
What would be a smaller armoured catfish or something that would work as a clean up crew for my rays?
Would rather something that does not require a lot of extra just something that will leave it clean up what the rays don't.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Only problem I see and I've never kept Rays so someone will chime in that has experience, is if your looking for a pleco, or something small it will most likely be eaten bigger plecos that may not be eaten may inturn suck on the Rays maybe look into some smaller fish that are middle to upper swimmers that will eat excess food but you don't mind if you lose some

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Tin foil barbs (large enough so they can't be eaten)

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
Ya I try to stay away from plecos. I have had bad experience with them an rays in the past (chewing on discs) so I stay away from them. Barbs may be a good idea. I have rainbow fish in there so maybe after the shock value of dumping rays in there goes a away a bit they will get better at it. Until they get eaten anyway. Then barbs may be a good way to go. Thanks

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I keep four lined and spotted pimelodid cats with my hystrix, as well as ancistrus plecos. And striped Raphael catfish.

cheon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
canada
Good size Bala sharks and tin foil barbs are my choices. They even clean up the rays feces.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
Thanks. Gonna see whats around but I like the bala shark or tin foil barb route

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store