Future Stocking Plans - Need Feedback & Ideas

Eclipse390

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2011
Hudson Valley, NY
So I'm planning out my future stock - hoping to be setting up at least one this year. :nilly:

I'm going to use this thread as a way to bounce around ideas & stock options. Also - want suggestions for buying locations & websites to buy from.
So let's start:

150 gallon - South American Biotope
-Uaru (not sure if I want a pair or single)
-Severum (pair or single)
-Jewel (single)
-BR Parrot (single) - I KNOW this is a weird addition
-Red Tail Shark
-Convict (single)
-EBJD (single)
-Barb school (unsure of species)
-Keyhole
-Cory school
This would be aquascaped with driftwood only. I will be looking for some nice dense, root pieces. Would be using black sand.

72 gallon bowfront - Heavily Planted Community
-Angels (will probably start off with 4 or 5 & thin out)
-Cory school
-Tetra school (looking into Rummynose most likely)
-Guppies (fry will be nice live food for Angels)
-Platys (same idea with fry)
-Malaysian Trumpet Snails
-Krib
-Rams (+/- never had luck keeping them alive)
-Festivum (single)
This would have eco-complete or a light pool sand as a substrate. MTS will help aerate. Heavily planted hopefully.

90 gallon bowfront
This tank I am unsure of.
-Flowerhorn
-Fancy Goldfish
-Brackish Tank
This one I have no idea what to do with.

55 gallon - Heavily Planted
-Female beta sorority
I know, I know - this is hot or miss. Luckily, I have half a dozen 5 gal. tanks if it doesn't work out.

Suggestions & tweaks appreciated. Obviously - not all these fish will be included, final stocking has yet to be decided.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I wouldn't do a Jewel in the 150, they like to chew everyone's tails up. I would do a pair of Uaru, but start out with a bigger group when they are little. I would also put the Keyholes in the 72g instead of the 150g since they are very passive and can be shy. They are my favorite dwarf cichlid by far though! I'd also do loaches or pictus in the 150g instead of cories.

Eclipse390

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2011
Hudson Valley, NY
Thanks for the reply. I was interested in Pictus, but I would like the fry to have a chance if I get pairs & I feel like they're too opportunistic of feeders. Do you have any particular companies or people that you order fish from? Hitting a roadblock in that dept. as I have zero LFS near me.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Jewel, convict, barbs, ebjd, and red tail shark are not SA. Barbs, ebjd, and red tail shark can work with the others if you're not not on the whole biotope idea.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Im confused are you getting all 4 tanks this year or do you have some already

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
For the 55G planted, whynot do a colony of Betta Channoides or something?

GlennDalton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2015
Cloverdale
www.facebook.com
For your 90 gallon bowfront, Raingarden.us has some really nice yellow wakin for sale and eastcoastranchu.com has great ranchus. There always large, fat and intelligent. I like the lemon heads or the ones that are white and have orange down their back. They are facinating to watch because of the way they swim. They "wiggle" since they have no dorsal fin. So for goldfish I would reccommend a ryukin, ranchu, or wakin. My favorite places are raingarden.us, eastcoastranchu.com, and dandyorandas.com. They don't just have orandas, they have great ryukins too.

Glenn

PS, I'd love to see some pictures of what you have done so far. Feel free to drop me a line with as many pictures as you want. glenndalton707@yahoo.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store