Could this be a bacterial bloom?

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
My swamp tank (palaudium) that houses my turtle was crazy cloudy yesterday, so I did a ~70% water change, and today it's still cloudy.

Normally with this filtration (canister + large sump on about 70-100g of water) the water is crystal clear.

That being said, I hadn't done a WC in about a week and a half (usually do weekly) and I hadn't been feeding the turtle quite as much as usual, so she may have been digging in the substrate for food. I saw bits of particulate matter in the water before the first WC, but now it just looks cloudy. And I cleaned the filters covering the sponges this WC, but that is not nearly enough of a media change to cause a bloom, considering the tons of physical stuff in the tank and the sump and canister.

Can't figure out what could be making this suddenly cloudy aside from bacteria, and it's not a water thing as I did a WC on another terrarium on the same day and it's perfectly clear.

Should I do another WC? Or just let it go through its mini-cycle or whatever this is? Haven't had something like this happen before, especially with such an established tank.

Nothing else has been out of the ordinary with it, and I see fish and shrimp acting normal. Turtle seems a little stressed, but mostly I think is just hungry. She just ate when I fed her.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store