Fish beat up and now having swim bladder issues

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Well I just got some tarpon and my asian arowana decided to beat one up really bad. The fish was still swimming fine, but the aro was relentlessly attacking him, so I put the tarpon in my sump. The tarpon is now upside down and breathing fairly heavily. He is having trouble getting orientated. I added some salt in to help heal his wounds, but is there anything else I can try? Or is it going to be internal damage and he's too far gone?

Thanks

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
This happened to me with a tarpon as well - and it didn't make it. They are pretty delicate with that kind of thing.

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
Have had a few SA/CA cichlids with these problems. I've tried many meds, feeding peas, etc. I have never found a remedy once they are not able to balance themselves. I'd just try to keep the water as clean as possible and give it a week or two. By that time if he doesn't show improvement, doesn't want to eat, and deteriorating I would euthanize only because they just don't seem to come back from this in my experience. Good luck.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Try, and this is no garentee, a 30 min bath in one teaspoon meth blue in 5 gallons of tank water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store