installing 3d backgrounds

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
For you guys that have 3d backgrounds how did you install it ?

I'm thinking couple hob filters but how does the water get behind the background to be filtered ? Same with water movement for heater being hide there as well any help would be great. Oh and this will be on small tank like 30-46g

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
I drilled a few small holes in the darker parts of my background (which didn't work). I have a lot of water moving in the two corners at the bottom pulling my sand back there and i also cut about a 1 inch long by 1/4 deep notch out of the top corner area which you can't really see unless your really looking for it. i have 4 heaters back there and i just have two canister intakes back there that deposit in the tank which works for water movement. as far as installation its a tight fit and naturally sits there.

KAWAMIKIE

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
I seen where a guy siliconed float mags to his 3d background, and used them to hold it in place. It makes the background removable for cleaning behind it.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
View attachment 1044664
This is the diy slate background on my 75g. I decided to replicate it on the 90g but with some minor adjustments

View attachment 1044665
I split all of the tiles in half with a ballpeen hammer and small flathead screwdriver. Because hey, you know precision is key with this craftsman. On my 75g I used 3/8" thick tile, I experienced no ill effects although it was heavy, and the tank was resealed once.

View attachment 1044666
I got all of this out of 2 tiles, enough to do almost the entire background. Not bad, <20 lbs all said and done. Much lighter than my first slate background.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
View attachment 1044915
I purchased these fake plants for $12 at hobby lobby. On my old 75g I had anubias wedged in the background but my fish ate it.

View attachment 1044916
View attachment 1044917
Coming together. Adherence to the overflow seems good so far. Im applying liberal amounts and overlapping pieces to the back pane and bottom pane.

Only time will tell, but I feel extremely confident about the slate sticking to the overflow

So relieved. Its finally done.

View attachment 1047496
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...0g-40b-sump-on-the-cheap-(ballin-on-a-budget)

Takes a little commitment to permanently silicone a background for a tank, but I can attest to this working wonderfully.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
My flexible one is siliconed to the back but it has an external overflow built into one side. The 2 I used with a hob were the designs by nature slimlines. Since the slimlines went into established tanks I just cut them very tight and wedged them between the top frame and bottom glass, once you throw some substrate in front of it they don't go anywhere. For intakes and heaters I simply kept them to the corners and hide them behind tall plants.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
All my 3D backgtounds i've always siliconed directly to the back of the tank... And depending what its made out of, that maybe one of the better options anyway...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store